Not sure if this is quite the right area for this question but has anyone used a UK Makro card in a Metro in France?  It's the same group and my local store reckons it's okay but the staff at Metro might just have their own ideas....

Yes I have used it as you describe.

They are the same group but quite different operations. Makro has become a personal shoppers outlet complete with changing rooms while Metro is much more Hotel & Restaurant oriented.

The first time I went I got the equivalent of a day pass. The second time (to complete a large order of bed linen) I was grilled a bit about 'my business'.

John

Yes you can use your Makro card in Metro France. You will need to present it when you go in and obtain a temporary hand written card. If you are VAT registered in the UK then take some proof of this as they will allow you to buy goods without paying the TVA.

To register for a Metro Card you need to be a registered business with a siret number. Just take all your registration documents along to the store and they'll sign you up.

Metro isn't too much like Makro. It's much more geared towards the catering and hotel trade. There are far fewer non-food items.

I went with a friend who was registered with Metro to the one near calais and whilst there, they did not allow a English couple in with a Macro card.   Maybe because it was calais  or maybe the fact that tva and vat rates are different I dont know