equivalent of EPA (Enduring Power of Attorney) in France from January 2009

sikhim

Unfortunately I cannot at the moment find a link that explains it in English but this looks to me like the equivalent of an English EPA (starting in January 2009)

see link in French:  http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/00688.html?xtor=EPR-140

This has to be a major improvement on the present French system of "tutelles"

Dominique

• 1 year later...
Hello do you have any further info on this? I am looking to help my sister who is resident in France take out an EPA but cannot find any information in English. does anyone know what is involved and is it the same conditions/criteria as we have in England?

Thanks for your help

Many thanks to all, this should certainly help me on my way, however I have one question that you may know the answer to :- in the uk I believe that you can have all of the forms signed and registered but not make use of the power granted until such time as the person (s) nominated deem it appropriate,. This leaves the future protected person still able to carry out their normal day to day activities  i.e. paying bills, using credit cards etc.for as long as they are able. Is it the same in France?. I appreciate that any responses given are not law! I am just seeking a little guidance.

Franky

[quote user="franky"]Many thanks to all, this should certainly help me on my way, however I have one question that you may know the answer to :- in the uk I believe that you can have all of the forms signed and registered but not make use of the power granted until such time as the person (s) nominated deem it appropriate,. This leaves the future protected person still able to carry out their normal day to day activities  i.e. paying bills, using credit cards etc.for as long as they are able. Is it the same in France?. I appreciate that any responses given are not law! I am just seeking a little guidance.

Franky

[/quote]

Hi,

As I understand it the mandat has to be drawn up when the subject is still "capable" (obviously). It does not come into effect until the court decides that the subject is no longer capable of handling some or all of their affairs. As this is France the whole thing is massively complicated, but have a look at the website -- vos droits mandat de protection future  .

Many thanks once again! I will certainly take a look, however from other sites that I have looked at it does appear as you say complicated and from what I understand it is also a question of interpretation of the actual law. I guess in the end I will have to approach a lawyer for clarification (hate to think what that will cost!)

Thanks