Ice Cream/Yoghurt Maker

Oldie

Have you thought of trying a non-electric yoghurt maker? I have one made by EasiYo, and it is basically a large plastic wide-necked flask with a baffle inside, which you half-fill with boiling water. The live yoghurt mixes are powdered, and you just shake up a sachet with tap water in the plastic screw-topped jar provided, and lower it into the flask. Just put on the lid, and about 8 hours later you have your lovely yoghurt! (Good for you, too, with lots of yummy bacteria). It really is child's play to make, and my other half loves the Greek variety for breakfast every day. Not sure how easy it is to get the mixes in France though,  - have a look at the website for distributors www.easiyo.com. I know Lakeland amongst other places sell it in the UK, but it originated in New Zealand, invented by a dad with a large family in his garage. (I mean he invented the yoghurt in his garage, not that his family lived in there!!).

Hope this helps,

Mary

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Cathy"]Try the EasiYo system.  http://www.easiyo.com [/quote]

Thanks for that timely reminder [:)]
I have a Lakeland yogurt maker and used to buy EasiYo mixes when in England. So easy: just mix, plug and leave overnight. So tasty too!

Having just visited the EasiYo website, I see they now deliver all over and quote in Euros!

-------------------------

Edit: having just added up my order, I now realise the delivery charge is much much more than anticipated [blink]... Lakeland it is then!
[/quote]

How do you do that - Put in links in blue that take you straight to the website? It's like a Harry Potter portkey!

First of all highlight and copy the website address (URL).

Then paste it into the message - or put in any phrase you want to make the 'portkey'. Highlight the address/phrase. Now click on the picture of a chain with a green ball on it in the toolbar above your message. In the dialogue box which appears paste the URL and click OK (or whatever it says).

Like NEWS!

I seem to need to leave a line blank above and below the link, and even then it doesn't always work for me.

[quote user="hastobe"]
With regard to how easy it is to use them - I guess it depends on the type of ice-cream.  Our two family favourites: banana rippled with toffee and lemon & lime ice-cream are very easy to make.  The most difficult are probably those that use a creme anglais base. There are so many different types - custard based, syrup based, sorbets, milk ices, sherbets etc...

Kathie

[/quote]

Could you share those recipes Kathie, they sound great and I've just got a new ice cream maker.  Unfortunately not the worktop kind, couldn't justify the price at this time.  But at least the new one makes a quart rather than 3/4 pint!!  Just have to empty the freezer first to first the bowl in!!

No problem. 

Banana ice-cream: Mix 3/4pt of a mixture of milk and cream (the

proportions are down to taste - the more / heavier the cream the richer the

ice-cream), with 4oz sugar and 3 pureed ripe bananas.  Transfer to

ice cream maker and freeze churn.  To ripple transfer from ice

cream maker to your container in scoops drizzling with butterscotch sauce between the

scoops. 

Either buy the butterscotch pouring sauce or you can make your own by

heating 1 3/4 oz butter with 1 3/4 oz demerara suger and 2 tbsp of

golden syrup in a heavy saucepan until melted and blended

together.  Boil rapidly to softball stage (115 deg C / 235 deg F)

cool slightly then gradually beat in 4 fl oz milk.  Cool before

combining with ice-cream above.

Lemon and lime ice-cream (my favourite [:)]: Dissolve 7oz caster

sugar in 8 fl oz water and add the grated rind of two large lemons and

two limes.  Simmer slowly for 20 minutes to give a very light

syrup. Allow to cool completely and then add the juice from the lemons

and limes.  Strain through a sieve to remove rinds and pips

etc.  Lightly whip 10 fl oz of double cream (or a mixture of

single and double) then gradually whisk in the syrup.  Freeze

churn until ready.

We tried another new recipe at the weekend.  Lemon curd icecream -

dead easy.  Add lemon curd to a pint of greek yoghurt to

taste  (we used about 2/3 of a jar to a pint of yoghurt)  -

then freeze churn.

Kathie

God they sound so much easier than all Gordon Ramsay's f**ting about - I mean,  a dozen eggs to make a litre of ice cream!!!!

Thank you.  Now I've just got to wait for the bananas to ripen up!!! 

• 1 month later...

Went to make Kathie's banana ice cream yesterday but the double cream I had frozen from the UK tasted more like butter.  The bananas are ripe and I'm off to the supermarket this afternoon.  So back to the age old question.... which cream shall I buy as a substitute for double?

When I cook I use the Elle&Vire long life stuff which is great but don't know what that would be like for ice cream.

Love my ice cream maker (also Magimix) and just use creme fraiche or creme crue; you can always add a bit of extra sugar if you like a sweeter taste. Why do you need a yoghurt maker? We just boil the milk until it is reduced by a third, then cool it until you can keep your finger in and count to ten, add the live yoghurt (new or some of the last batch), cover with cling film and a tea towel and leave it to "yog" for several hours. Near the wood-burning stove works a treat in winter and just out on the worktop in the kitchen is fine in summer.

regards

Lisa

[quote user="Clair"] I have a Lakeland yogurt maker and used to buy EasiYo mixes when in England. So easy: just mix, plug and leave overnight.[/quote]

Well I resurrected my Lakeland yogurt maker and ordered some EasiYo mixes from Lakeland, which arrived very promptly...

I highly recommend the Vanilla Custard Style yogurt, absolutely delish with a fruit tart!!! [6]

The best way to try them is to buy the variety pack so you can taste several flavours.

PS: I don't work for Lakeland or EasiYo, I just like their products...

wish

I could find EasiYo in France, that would cut down on the temptation to

order more from Lakeland. That shop should be on subscription only!!