HAZEL NUTS

londoneye

I am informed that i have a hazel nut tree in my garden (anyone who has read my previous postings about trees in my garden will know that i am woefully ignorant about them, so am trusting my 'source' on this one!).   Does anyone know anything i can do with them at all ?    I have visions of hazelnuts at christmas - looking something similar to those wonderful packs i used to buy from M&S (in the days when i could a. find one, and b. afford them!)   

would be grateful for any thoughts - assume they won't be 'ready' (not sure if ripe is right word for nuts?) until september or so ?

We have two hazels with reddish leaves in our garden.The nuts won't be ripe until September. However, the squirrels like their nuts a bit underripe and are currently sitting in the trees chomping away. They left us non at all last year ditto the walnuts!

If you've got a big squirrel population the only way to beat them is to pick them before they get to them.

We've got two red hazelnuts and three green - one's a whopping 10 metres high and almost the same across.  Because we don't have a big squirrel problem we can wait for them to drop naturally (our squirrels stay in the forest where they belong). They're very nice but I hate having to crack them.  Can you get a machine to do it better than nutcrackers?

Same goes for walnuts - only problem being half drop in the mayor's car park as the tree is about 15-20 metres high and the same across and is on the boundary.  But come harvest time Jude goes out every other morning and beats the tree with a long pole to make them drop so she can at least pick the lowest branches before others get to them.  Again, because they are fully ripe they drop without the soft outer coat (hulm?) on ours.  But if you have to peel that coat off the nut case, beware - it turns your hands purple-black.

ok -phew been down the field and all nuts seem to be intact, therefore deduce no large squirrel population here (probably scared off by neighbours - heh heh).   Not sure what kind of  hazelnut it is - being very naive (again!) leaves are green and hazelnuts are green at moment.   I had a hazy idea i should be stuffing them in the oven (perhaps i am thinking conkers here!) but gather this is not the case.   so i just pick up off floor what squirrels dont want and go for it ?   Is that right?  Or beat them down alternatively (!)

We wait until they start to fall of their own accord, pick them off the ground and they are ready to shell.  We also pick the rest of the bush about the same time if they come away easily.  If not we wait a few days and revisit.  Don't put in the oven to dry, but if they are a bit 'green' leave them to dry in the sun.

If you want to do something creative with them and as they will be ready about the same time as walnuts, shell them, put the kernels into a jar (hazelnut and undried walnuts while they are still creamy) and top the jar up with acacia honey.

Great with cheese and as smart Xmas pressies - if you shop around you can get large tubs of honey from your local apiarist at much cheaper prices and can undercut the local posh food places prices substantially - nuts in honey round here are 8/9 euros a jar! 

that sounds good - i will try - unfortunately lost walnut tree in a storm so no walnuts to be expected but i am sure my neighbours have plenty - i shall start to mention my love of walnuts soon so they recall in good time!  (Dont worry i am not being nasty, i shall ensure i return favour with other things)

I like the sound of them on ice cream, especially in this weather.  Must try it.  Have you seen the other thread where someone (Cathy, actually!) has stained their fingers walnut black?  What a coincidence (see earlier post here)!

We too have hazelnut bushes/trees. They are purple-leaved and very bushy. About  4 meters high. they were planted a long time ago by previous owners and have not been pruned or cut from day one we think.

The problem is that last year we were told to leave the nuts until September but by then they had all dropped, full of worms, or had been eaten by squirrels by late August.

They look very ready now with brittle papery dark brown/black frilly covers and well-formed nuts. 

Is this due to the scorching weather? Do I trust all will be well? Or do I pick as many as seem adult and dry them(not really needed at the moment!) in the sun.

I can see a repeat of last year coming up with no harvest at all.

They stand as individual plants in open spaces on cut/mown grassland, very exposed to the sun.

Advice needed please.

If the nuts are formed, hard and turning brown and the leafy bit around the top of the cluster is dry, you can pick them and leave them to finish drying in the sun.  They are fully ripe when they part easily from the leafy bit around the top of the cluster of nuts.  What is the name of that bit, anyone?  I used to know but I've forgotten.  Is it the haulm?