How does one make Prunes?

JJ

We have a glut of various plums this year, have made loads of chutney but quite fancy trying to make some prunes.

I have checked the internet, but no real success apart from one site suggesting that one dries the plums for 18 hours in a hot air oven.

So, can anyone suggest how it is done,or is the above mentioned the only way?

Many thanks.

[quote user="JJ"]

We have a glut of various plums this year, have made loads of chutney but quite fancy trying to make some prunes.

I have checked the internet, but no real success apart from one site suggesting that one dries the plums for 18 hours in a hot air oven.

So, can anyone suggest how it is done,or is the above mentioned the only way?

Many thanks.

[/quote]

The prune factory near us in 47 shoves them through a hot air oven. So I guess it is the way it's done.

Er......Hi JJ, [;-)]

You need to use perfect plums. If you put them in boiling water for about a minute to get rid if the bloom, dry them & then put them on a non stick oven tray & in the oven on a very low heat for about 6-8 hours. Keep a check on them though. Any juice that comes out, you can baste them with, if you want, it makes them stickier.

[quote user="JJ"]Thanks all,

Will give the oven method a try, in view of the current weather might try some sun drying as well.

Wish me luck.[/quote]

Living in Charente I would have thought that the sun drying method was the more economical in this lovely sunny weather. Just need the patience....

I have seen old dears in South79, laying the fruits on some wire mesh stuff (it more or less looked like a tennis racket sort of mesh). This was propped up on small stones/bricks and left on a white table outside in the full sun. Every night it was taken into the kitchen to use the leftover heat from the cuisinière/chaudière and back out again next morning in the full sun. Presumably the white of the table would act as a reflector of heat, and the propping up would allow air to circulate and take away moisture from the fruits...

• 1 month later...