Specialty flour

PossumGirl

Before we moved, I used to do a lot of my own bread baking.  I haven't done as much since getting here, especially since we live three doors down from an excellent bakery in the village.  But I find I miss certain things that one doesn't find as easily here, and I've gotten back into making my own.

I used to buy my flour from this terrific place in Vermont, called King Arthur Flour.  They had the widest variety of flours of anyplace that I've ever found.

Although I have found some different flours available by mail order in France, there are certain things I specifically need and would like to find.  In particular, there is something called "First Clear Flour" which is used in making real Jewish ryes.  It is described as:

Clear flour

is the by-product of straight flour that remains after patent flour is removed.  

Clear flour is graded into fancy, first clear, and second clear.  Clear flour is

darker in color than the other flours previously mentioned, as it is made from the part of

the endosperm closest to the bran.  Fancy clear flour, milled from soft wheat, is

used to make pastry flour.  First clear, milled from hard wheat, is often blended by

the baker with low-gluten flours to lighten the texture of breads such as rye or

whole-wheat yet maintain the deep color desirable in such breads.  Second clear flour

has a very high ash content, is very dark, and is not generally used for food.

Does anyone know what the French equivalent of this might be called?  Or even if such a thing exists here?

Thanks,

PG

Can't help you with that specific flour I'm afraid but I have found all kinds of treasure at the health food shop near me.  Things I have no idea what they are!

There is a Francine site which has a bread making forum and these ladies seem to know a lot.  I would give it a look.  It always amazes me that they use their bread makers for rising the bread and then bung it in the oven!  They are very serious about it all and I have had some excellent recipes from them.

http://www.francine.com

Thanks, Alexis. I've come to the conclusion that what is called semi-complet Type 80 might be the closest to First clear, so I"m going to try that in my rye recipe.

I'll check out the Francine site, thanks. I also used to use my bread machine solely for mixing and rising the dough, then I would bake it in the shapes I preferred in the oven. I preferred the results that way.

PG

Have either of you used farine d'épeautre?  On google it is called German wheat flour...says it is from small, hard grains and has an excellent taste.  There are quite a few recipes on the Francine forum which use it along with ordinary strong-ish flour.

I must look out for it.

I have tried making bread in a cocotte and it was excellent.  You put it into a cold oven and think "this will never work" but it does!

I'm off back to have another look.

ps.  those petits pains à tomber are delicious too.

[quote user="moonraker"]

If you want rye flour you need farine de seigle; otherwise you can also find 110 and 150. Here's a page about different flour and uses:

http://www.supertoinette.com/fiches_recettes/fiche_farine.htm

[/quote]

Thanks for the website, Moonraker. It confirms what I thought about the Type 80.  It sounds like it is very similar to First Clear. Also, I believe that the Farine de Grau is probably a good investment for bread baking as well, as it has a higher gluten content that typical Type 55.

PG