Vin de Noix

Meg

Has anyone tried making Vin de Noix??

My neighbour was just telling me about it, but couldn't remember exact quantities etc but was green walnuts, red wine, eau de vie and sugar left for 3 months, i think!

Anyone have any tips or recipes??  And most importantly, does it taste nice??!!

Thanks,

Louise

40 young walnuts that can be pierced with a needle, rinsed and quartered

1 litre alcohol such as brandy, eau de vie, or vodka

5 litres (10pts'ish!) red wine

1 kg sugar (2 pounds'ish!)

One or more of the following are often added, but are optional

12 walnut leaves

Zest of 1 orange

4 to 8 cloves

1 vanilla pod

1. Pick the walnuts in late June when the walnuts are well formed, but can still be pierced with a needle. Place all of the ingredients in an 8 quart (8 liter) non-reactive container with a lid. I use a large glass jar. Store in a cool dark place for 6 to 8 weeks, shaking occasionally.

2. Strain through cheesecloth into a bowl. Taste, and adjust the sugar if you want the drink to be sweeter. Bottle and store in a cool dark place until the cold weather.

Wear gloves when quartering the walnuts though, as your hands will go black![:D]

• 3 months later...
We started some sloe gin (just after you made your vin de noix).  We made the happy discovery of sloes growing by our house [:)].  Tested it last week (a couple of times to be sure) and is coming along very [hic] nicely.  Gotta compete with the neighbours [;-)].  (We also made creme de mur with the recipe that was posted on here - with the blackberries (that were very conveniently located by the sloes).  That also is very nice and - ahermm - partially drunk (as were we) after our tastings....

And guess what we found last week - a very conveniently situated walnut tree....When exactly are walnuts at the stage when you can stick a needle in them...?

Will be opening Bar Pardoux next summer [;-)]

Kathie

[quote user="louweezel"] Wonder what colour it'll turn my stomach![:'(]

There's always a party going on when i'm around Jayjay.

Louise
[/quote]

Well Louise, what colour is your hair?[;-)] So the LF Crimbo party is down with you then![8-|] 

Although the homebrew bar sounds good, I take it there will be crash mats & no chairs Kathie.[:D]

A party!!!! - count me in [:)].  Bar = anytime after about 6 [ish] at chez moi - all invited [:)]

As for colours: well a deep red, mixed with a pretty purples with some splashes of brown = a dordogne sunset?  Not sure if it's that colour in your stomach.....but main thing is making sure it stays in your stomach [;-)]   I guess a 'dordogne sunset' bathroom wouldn't be too pretty... and it would be such a waste of wholesome fruit and nuts.....

No crash mats - everyman for himself...

Kathie