Cream

absolut

We are still having a problem with Cream after living here for 5 years.

As you all know , we cannot buy Double Cream and wonder if anyone knows any magical ways to thicken the readily available products.

Many Thanks

(The guests are arriving in 6 hours)

I have some "stuff" which I bought in a Gèant which is admittedly UHT

and is made by Bridel and which is called simply "Crème" - however in

English on the back it says "Long life whipping cream".  I haven't

yet tried it but bought it when I saw it because I had never seen it in

France before. Has anyone else ever used it?

Try the little white squared off bottles of creme entier. They come in packs of 2 quite often. It is UHT, but does whip up.

I think you can buy sachets of cream fixer too, helps to set cream!!!! Haven't tried it, so don't know much about it. Sorry.

I use the cream fixer quite often, and always successfully. You can find fixe-chantilly in the same rayon as cake baking materials, it comes in a box about the same size as a pack of swan vestas

When using UHT creme I always add just a little sugar and a drop of vanilla essence to improve the flavour.

Creme Fleurette Entier sold in small cartons in the chilled section (usually just above the milk) in supermarkets is fresh cream.  It takes a while to whip up with an electric whisk but if you add a little sucre poudre it goes eventually with a good end result.

As has been mentioned before, if you are in the right part of France, usually a dairy-producing area like Normandy, you can buy double cream, either at markets or as local products in supermarkets. It is not at all easy to find or identify, because the packaging and labelling will most likely just say 'creme cru', i.e. unpasteurised cream, and a lot of creme cru is merely unpasteurised creme fraiche. Once you have found the right supplier though, you will know where to go. You can buy it at our local Leclerc, for example, but its no use publishing the details because it is only available in two or three stores.

I use Elle & Vire Creme Entier de Normandie and it works for me just like 'English' cream.  Yes, it is 'long life' but that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned as I always have some in the pantry and keep a box in the fridge.  I use it in all my cooking where cream is needed, including hot dishes and it doesn't curdle - and I really like the taste!  Admittedly I haven't tried to whip it but it does make a brilliant Irish coffee if you shake it really well before pouring - either pour some out of the box and shake in the box or just pour some into a glass, top with cling film and give it a good old shake.  (You have to have sugar in the coffee to make the cream float - but that applies to Englsih cream too).  You can find it in the chilled and unchilled sections of most of the supermarkets.

Lynda M

I was thrilled by a suggestion on this forum to buy Superu's own marscapone cheese in a tub, just like solid double cream in the UK but way too thick..however I added a small carton of cream fluide and 'voila' couldn't tell the difference between that and whipped UK double cream...just bring on the scones and strawberry jam!