Mussels: when are they at their best?

Loiseau

[quote user="Just Katie "]

Hi Miki, long time no speak X

It was at Twinkles mates house.  His folks were up from the Med and brought 10 ton of moules with them.  They really were superb but I think the French are a bit more "earthy" with their food than us girly brits.[/quote]

Yes but I don't mind being ignored, I simply get on and read a book, by Moliet or someone, until I get a PM from someone [:)]

When we used to holiday or have our place darn sarf, we used to go out and borrow (nick) mussels off the posts, but never 10 tons, our truck only holds 2½ tons. [;-)]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been there before, but I have never seen so much activity, out of the picture there were several more lorries.

I'd like to take the credit for the pic but my husband has been 'playing' its three of his pics 'stitched' together. the trouble is he would like to go back with different lenses, tripods etc.

[quote user="Cassis"]That's a great picture, Gay.  Brings back my memories of holidays in that area.

Regarding oysters, I don't really like them.  Like eating a small leatherette cushion.

[/quote]

Another wally from deepest Normandy...you don't eat the outer cover !!

If you look at Gays photo, I am just on the right hiding behind the tractor, I am about to run off with two dozen scrumped number ones !! I' bought a lemon on the way home............[:)]

Nice photo Gay.

The chef there is serious, very ! Small (in comparison to quite a few of the others in the locality)  and the ambiance is good, the food, well Gay has said already.

Next time you are over Dick and you have the time to go to Cancale, do give me a call but not last week in Feb or most of March. Cancale is a delightful place and to be honest, it would be bad luck to eat badly but as ever, some are just that little bit better.

By the way, before we went to Quimper last week, Gay gave me the name of a recommeneded resto in Quimper, very good food, nice people and very reminiscent of a zinc bar/resto in Paris or Liège.

The only curious thing was that the special of the day was described as 'sole'  (in English) we went for that and it was truly delicious however for sole it was rather oblong in shape. 2 weeks later my husband decided that we should have sole at home, and in comparison it was positivley oval.

Do you think something was lost in translation ?

Possibly but not being there, difficult to know. We have had sole in Cancale on occasions but not sure if we have eaten them at Le Surcouf but they have always been oval in shape, comme normale or at least on most occasions !!

Yes Dick, it can be but being oblong must make it very inefficient for them to swim !

When is half term jobbie ?

Why not enjoy it again ? We will look out for a sausage but please wear a rose, so we can recognise you .

Why ? Well you don't know just how many sausages eat in Le Surcouf, some days you can't move, for the Maltese Merguez in town [:)]

I rarely go into a restaurant unless heavily disguised, lest there should be some kind of disastrous mix-up. [:D]

On the subject of shellfish, I don't like big mussels either - I much prefer the small and medium ones.  I remember being in a restaurant - can't remember where - and being served mussels that would not have been out of place on Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Like chewing on an inflatable cushion.