jam making

Yvonne

Hi,

A neighbour has given me lots of the spring clip / rubber sealed glass jars (kilner?).

I would like to use them for my jam and preserve making.

Is there any special treatment needed other than heating the jar and sealing whilst the jam is still hot? Do I need to replace the rubber seal between jams / preserves?

Thanks,

Abi

Hi Abi, I've reused kilner jars and also reused the rubber seal, providing it is still intact and doesn't show any sign of perishing.  If you have a dishwasher then a cycle in that will ensure your jars and seals are sterilised, though let them dry naturally and, as you say, use them whilst still hot.  The other way is to put them in a warm oven for a period of time - think it's about 15-30 mins but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.

Incidentally, I used the little wax bits that you melt and seal your preserves with for the first time last autumn and it was brilliant.  I was worried about getting it off when I came to open the jar for the first time but just a little push and the whole thing tilts up and lifts off very cleanly.

Hope this helps [:)]

Lynda

The replacement cost is small so we do not risk re-using rubber rings though if you only intend using the jars for jam may be ok. Di makes her jam in "normal" jars topped off with waxand uses the kilner type for meat, fruit and veg

John

not