Four letter word - diet part 2

Joy1

Hello Lynda,  I am really so happy for you, to be able to lose so much I thought you must be younger, well done. We girls are trying to stay positive [:D] I think this is about the fourth year Jan and I have been here slimming and smiling and we cant find the answer. I am sure it is the alcohol and wrecking our metabolism with constant dieting for many years. Have just read that it takes three weeks of strict regime to rebalance the metabolism,so must start tomorrow [6]  Seriously though I think it does need three weeks of lean meat, fish , lettuce etc and only water before we even start to diet, but where do we get the prescription for willpower for that[geek] I did manage it last October but now I haven't got a clue how I did it.

I am 58 but the change didn't happen until I was 56 so everyone says I don't look it and I don't feel it except for the weight; I used to be size zero so don't like being frumpy. Would love to wear jeans.

Jan, the bloated tummy is strange in that yesterday I woke up six months pregnant and had put on 2 lbs. Today tummy was flat when I first got up and I was 2lbs lighter,  perhaps you will be lots lighter tomorrow. It has started 'filling' out during the day but this is the first time since I lost weight weight Oct/Nov that tummy has exploded, desperately trying to think of the cause.  All suggestions gratefully accepted.

The Other Jan or I dont mind Poppy [:D]

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willpower definately needs to come on prescription - lol. 

My mum put me on a diet when I was 11.  I weighed 11stone then, but since then I've been on this diet and that diet and to be honest I think just good sensible eating is the answer.  But I think all those years of yo-yo dieting has seriously affected the ol' metabolism.  Plus the fact I was never allowed to leave the table until I had eaten everything on my plate.  I was reading a couple of chapters of Paul McKennas "I can make you slim" and when told to "eat everything on your plate, don't be wasteful, just think of those who don't get what you get" - his reply would be "how is me being fat going to help.  Just serve up smaller portions and there would be less waste".  I agree with him.

I managed to find the willpower when I was on the Cambridge Trimmer Bars.  1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch and evening meal was usually chicken and broccoli or chicken and cabbage.  I did that for 3 months and lost 22lb.  I felt great.  However, it did have a lasting effect on me to the point that now I just cannot face chicken and broc.  I love chicken, but I got so bored with the same meal every night for 3 months, I just don't want to do it again. 

Sensible eating is about eating the right things and variety with a capital V.

I don't think I would ever do the Trimmer version of Cambridge again, even though the weight loss was quick and inspiring.  It is so low calories, it really mucks up your system. 

As for the tummy swelling.  A couple of weeks ago, I was due to go out with the "girls wot lunch" (we don't do it often), and I managed to get into a pair of trousers I hadn't worn for over a year.  This morning however, I thought as I'm going shopping on my own (because I've just learnt to drive again after 30 years after passing my test), rather than wearing my usual "comfort" clothes, I'd put the posh trousers on.  Do you think I could get them anywhere near done up.  How depressing.

If I get my Carte Vitale sorted out (it ran out and I'm waiting for the confirmation I can "piggy back" on OH's), I'm straight down to the docs and ask for a thyroid test and advice about a regime.

Hi everyone! First of all congratulations to everyone who has lost weight! I had a good time in the UK being spoilt by my parents! As a result I have gained about 600g. Not too bad as I ate desert everyday, but I still have a long way to go to my target! Sunin france, I have a slow metabolism too- and it is such a pain!!!!! When I explain to people exactly how little i actually eat no-one can believe me! Now I am in my 40's it is even harder to loose any weight! Grrrrrrrr! I WILL  keep trying though. Incedently, I am not too pleased with my electronic scales, every time I get on them they show a different weight! even on a tiled floor! i am thinking of going babk to my old english dial scales! At least they show the same weight! All the best Joy

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2G2UEv/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2G2UEv/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Welcome back Joy - 600g gain isn't so bad and I'm sure it will just melt away over the next week!

No change for me this week but that's hardly surprising given last week's loss.  Actually, the scales did show that I've lost another lb this week but I had a tummy bug yesterday and was quite sick so I'm putting it down to dehydration.

Will probably be a bit suicidal next Tuesday as we have son and girlfriend arriving today and with us till Saturday and a couple of friends coming over for a long weekend.  Much eating and drinking will be done [6] - though still not feeling my best so may take a day or so before I get my proper drinking head on [:D]

Lynda x

Hi Lynda, thanks for the encouragement! Not sure that it will "melt" away exactly -more like sweat away with lots of effort! LOL. Just enjoy your week! You deserve it after all that weight loss, you must feel fantasic!( Well once you're better!!!) Have fun. Joy

Guess what - no change - again [:(].

Friends just come back from England and brought me Neri's and India's Idiot Proof Diet which I shall start reading soon. 

Enjoy your visitors Lynda and don't worry about the eating/drinking bit.  Just have fun.  Hope you feel better soon though so you can enjoy it properly.

Joy, 600g is not so bad - I'm sure it will drop off quickly.

I'm off out to continue weeding the veg plot and get some more summer bulbs in.

Jan

Congratulations everyone, you really are doing well. no real weight gain.

Joy well done for only putting on a teeny bit while eating all those English goodies.

I am very puzzled this week I have lost 2lbs.I haven't been able to able to give up the alcohol completely and on the days without it have been eating chocolate.!!!  Very little else though, is this what they term 'shocking the metabolism'. Only thing I can think of is that after all these years I finally got the metabolism going with the detox diet last October.

Hope the gardening went well Jan, we are having lovely weather, the weeds are loving it.

The Other Jan

Still slimming and at long last smiling [:D]

Tell me about the weeds - I am absolutely knackered.  Too much time over the winter closeted in the house with no exercise or proper fresh air. I can't honestly say that all that digging makes me feel healthier.  Just exhausted.

I started reading Neris & India's Idiot Proof Diet during lunchtime today and although I haven't actually got to the diet bit yet, it's hiliarious.  I must admit though I was reading it while eating a pitta suffed with smoked turkey, home made coleslaw and salad.  Not to sure that the coleslaw and pitta were good for me, but it was delicious.

We have had friends round every night since Saturday, so I'm afraid the wine has been flowing.  However, 2nite, the visitors left early, and because I'm completely knackered I'm definately going to have an early night tonight.  I must just watch the end of Masterchef though.

Yet another week has gone by! I have actually managed to loose a lb! (I've gone back to my old scales!) Feeling rather pleased to have lost something as i had the munchies for chocolate this week! - unfortunately I had some Cadburys Creme Eggs from my uk trip- note I said HAD! I have eaten them all! Only excuse is the return of the cold weather and everyone in our house having colds! I am away again this weekend, returning next Thursday, will try to be good! hope you're all doing well. (Please excuse capital letter problems, my husband spilt sherry on my laptop at christmas and it's not been quite the same since - hic! [:D]) Have a good week. Joy

[/url]

Mmm ....  eat Cadbury Creme Eggs and lose a lb!  The Cadbury Creme Egg Diet?  Yep, definitely has possibilities [:D]

Well done Joy!  Told you that little bit of excess would just melt away - didn't think it would take the form of a chocolate fountain though [:D]

Well, as predicted, I haven't lost anything this week and weighed in 1lb heavier this morning.  Note that I didn't say 'have gained 1lb'.  I'm not sure if technically it's any different but it sounds better.  The thing is, it is simply not possible to gain 1lb of fat in just one week; it will just be a bit of fluid retention - OK, red wine retention then!! [:P]  In truth, given the amount of food and alcohol that I've consumed I'm secretly delighted that it's only a 1lb!  Though interestingly, son and girlfriend both noticed that we are now drinking a lot less (even though we thought we were letting our hair down) and that I was serving up much healthier meals (even though I didn't think I was!).  So there you go, once you get into the habit, it becomes second nature! 

We've got friends with us till Friday so will try not to be too bad, but we've both said how much we're looking forward to getting back to the regime of controlled healthy eating.  Do you think we're turning into dieting anoraks [geek]

Till next week,

Lynda x

Well done Joy.  Lynda 1lb is not so bad, so well done as well.

Me - once again, no loss, no gain.  Tonight OH is having a roasted pork chop with all the trimmings and I'm not sure what I'll have, but it will involve salad.

Still "plodding" on in the hope that one day I will have lost a couple of pounds.

The weather certainly doesn't help.  Last week was brilliant and managed to get loads of exercise digging the garden, but it's back to the chilly weather again and one's mind turns to chocolate which, funnily enough, I've been able to resist.

My friends brought me back Neris & Indias Idiot Proof Diet when they came back from England and although it makes good reading, I was disappointed to find that the diet is basically based on the GI and the Atkins which is not good for me as I very rarely eat red meat, cheese bloats me out, and cream just makes me feel ill these days.  I would much prefer a nice piece of chicken, the odd bit of "Laughing Cow" on my crispbread and a banana chopped up and a couple of dollops of creme fraiche.

Anoraks, BTW are for trainspotters (please don't take offence if you know any) [:D]

Jan

Considering the weather I think you have all excelled. Can't say the same for me I have put on 2lbs, must be delayed reaction to last weeks alcohol and chocolate diet. Have been good re the alcohol this week but chocolate just keeps jumping in my mouth. Can't understand it I am not usually this addicted but we have had a few challenges domestic/financial wise [blink]

I know what you mean about healthy eating Lynda, I think our menu has changed considerably over the last few years; fresh fruit/veg, lean meat and quite a lot of fish. Other half  is unbelievably thin but doesn't snack between meals and doesn't eat desserts or chocolate he can't be tempted, gets very annoyed if you try to force any treats on him. He eats to live not lives to eat , silly thing. Should make life easier for my diet but this week I have been sneaking in desserts and choc just for me [6]  I am still half a stone under my last plateau so must try harder this week.

Jan, chicken and laughing cow sounds delicious and certainly can't be fattening. Been thinking this week about what could have suddenly caused me to lose weight after all these years trying and the other factor, apart from the detox, is apple cider vinegar. Have been taking it in water with honey to ease the aches and pains and it has really worked, but also read that  the vinegar aids weight loss, not sure about the honey though [8-)]

The Other Jan

Still slimming & smiling [:D]

Hi Other Jan

I think you can buy Apple Cider Vinegar in capsule/tablet form from Boots or Superdrug in the Slimming Aid sections - pity I'm not in England at the moment, otherwise I might give it a go.

Tonight I just didn't feel like eating and my stomach looks like a Montgolfiere at the moment and it's so uncomfortable.  Thank goodness for elasticated waist bands [:D].

A friend sent me this which had me in stitches:

Only girls would really understand this! (It is a true story written by

a lady to her friend after a swimsuit shopping expedition).

"I have just been through the annual pilgrimage of torture

and humiliation known as buying a bathing suit. When I was a

child in the 1950's, the

bathing suit for a woman with a mature

figure was designed for a woman with a mature figure- boned,

trussed and reinforced, not so much sewn as engineered. It was built

to hold back and uplift and it did a good job.

Today's

stretch fabrics are designed for the prepubescent girl with a figure

carved from a potato chip. The mature woman has a choice - she can

either front up at the maternity department and try on a floral suit

with a skirt, coming away looking like a hippopotamus who escaped

from Disney's Fantasia - or she can wander around every

run-of-the-mill department store trying to make a sensible choice

from what amounts to a designer range of fluorescent rubber bands.

What choice did I have?

I wandered around, made my

sensible choice and entered the chamber of horrors known as the

fitting room. The first thing I noticed was the

extraordinary

tensile strength of the stretch material. The Lycra used in bathing

suits was developed, I believe, by NASA to launch small rockets

from

a slingshot, which give the added bonus that if you manage

to actually lever yourself into one, you are protected from shark

attacks. The reason for this is that any shark taking a swipe at

your passing midriff would immediately suffer whiplash.

I fought my way into the bathing suit, but as I twanged the

shoulder strap in place, I gasped in horror - my bosom had

disappeared! Eventually, I

found one bosom cowering under my left

armpit. It took a while to find the other. At last I located it

flattened beside my seventh rib. The problem

is that modern bathing suits have no bra cups. The "mature woman" is meant to wear

her bosom spread across her chest like a speed bump. I realigned my

speed bump and lurched toward the mirror to take a full view

assessment.

The bathing suit fit all right, but

unfortunately, it only fit those bits of me willing to stay inside

it. The rest of me oozed out rebelliously from top, bottom, and

sides. I looked like a lump of play dough wearing undersized cling

wrap. As I tried to work out where all those extra bits had come

from, the prepubescent sales girl popped her head through the curtains, "Oh, there you are!" she said, admiring the bathing suit...

I replied that I wasn't so sure and asked what else she had to show

me.

I tried on a cream crinkled one that made me look

like a lump of masking tape, and a floral two piece which gave the

appearance of an oversized

napkin in a serviette ring. I struggled

into a pair of leopard skin bathers with ragged frill and came

out looking like Tarzan's Jane pregnant with

triplets and having a

rough day. I tried on a black number with a midriff and looked like

a jellyfish in mourning. I tried on a bright pink  pair with

such

a high cut leg I thought I would have to wax my eyebrows to wear it.

Finally, I found a suit that fit ... a two piece affair with

shorts style bottom and a loose blouse-type top. It was cheap,

comfortable, and bulge-friendly, so I bought it. My ridiculous

search had a successful outcome! When I got home, I found a label

that said, "Material will

become transparent in

water."

Jan, the bathing suit story was hilarious, can really relate to it and haven't laughed so much in ages [:D]

To me apple cider vinegar is the answer to everything. I did an internet search for arthritis cures and found a site which recommended 2 teaspoons of the vinegar and honey in water 3 times daily. I think it was last August when I started ( just once daily) and the aches and pains disappeared.  Great side effects were good skin and a reduction in blood pressure. Earlier this year I stopped taking the potion and a couple of weeks ago got crippling pains in the knees so I started again and they have improved already. The winter skin is also looking better.I now think it has contributed to the weight loss and reducing the inflatable tum, hope yours is feeling better.

I recently found a website which has LOTS of info on apple cider vinegar www.earthclinic.com

The Other Jan

I can totally relate to that.  I brought myself a new swimsuit last year and I haven't dared wear it yet.  Once everything starts "moving south" you do need engineering instead of lycra.

I wonder of Apply Cider Vinegar might help me as I am having loads of problems with my knees.  If I kneel down, it has to be on my left knee as if I kneel on my right knee I get excrutiating pain in it, but also when I'm walking it sometimes gives way completely (quite embarrassing when OH suggests another Vat of Wine dear).  I'm off to check the Superdrug site to look at the cost as we have friends coming out shortly and I might just aks them to bring me some over.  I've been taking Cod Liver Oil for my achy joints, but it doesn't seem to help.

Jan

Oh dear where is everybody , I'm usually the last to post. Well I lost 2lbs this week, or should I say in one day. Was so disgusted with myself this week fo not trying so yesterday I had a yoghurt for breakfast, a plate of cabbage for lunch and a very lean steak for dinner. Drank only water and today I'm 2 lbs lighter than yesterday [:D] 

I can hardly believe it a few months ago even if I starved all week  I couldn't lose an ounce. Have decided it must be the apple cider vinegar have been taking it for a few weeks now and all the aches and pains have disappeared and now the fat is going as well [8-|]

Hope everyone has had a good week.

The Other Jan

[/url]

Well done Other Jan, I'm really pleased for you!! [:D][:D]

I'm intrigued by this Apple Cider Vinegar malarky, not from a dieting point of view but from a 'relieving all that ails you' point of view.  I had a look on the website last week - can't remember if it was you or the Jan that's not the Other Jan [blink] but I found it quite interesting.  I might give it a go myself - though there seemed to be a lot of confusion about whether you should take with with baking powder or not.[8-)]  This probably sounds like a dumb question but is Apple Cider Vinegar the bog standard Cider Vinegar that you buy at the supermarket (cider being made from apples and all that) or is it some other wonder potion that's probably very difficult to obtain?

No change for me this week, i.e. still that pesky lb of 'fluid'.  Actually, the original lb of fluid has probably gone now but was replaced by another lb of fluid which was consumed since last Tuesday [:$] (our frinds didn't go till Saturday [6]).  I'm looking at it as simply putting the weight loss 'on hold' for a week[;-)].  However, the counting cals started again yesterday so looking forward to a good report next week.

Bit worried at the moment as our lovely dog Ben (the one in the avatar) had surgery this morning to repair the ligaments of his back right knee.  We're no strangers to this procedure as he had the same problem with his back left knee last September!  We phoned the vet, as instructed, at 3pm fully expecting for them to say that he was fine and could be collected at tea time.  Instead, they said that he was still not really awake and to phone again at 5pm.  She then said that if he was still not OK they would keep him in overnight - or words to that effect (think I'd stopped really listening by then and was imagining all sorts of gloomy things).  I'm probably being totally over sensitive but you dog lovers out there will know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, to get back on topic, wonder how many calories are used up by having a good old girlie sob [:(]

Lynda x

Hi all - sorry I'm late.  Yet again no change for me, but well done Other Jan and keep going at it Lynda.

Sorry to hear about your dog - I do hope all works out well.  I'm not a dog owner, but as a cat lover, I know how you are feeling.

Other Jan - if you don't mind me asking - how much to do you pay for your Apple Cider Vinegar and where do you get it from?

Jan

Lynda I do hope Ben is OK now, lots of hugs for you and him. [kiss]

Regarding the cider vinegar (vinaigre de cidre) I buy the bog standard kind and it is available for one or two euros for 75cl in any supermarket. Usually just go for their own brand and also buy the large jars of own brand honey. Not sure whether the honey is just to make it taste better but I first came across the remedy on an arthritis site. It said to take 2 teaspoons of vinegar and honey in a glass of water 3 times daily, if pain is very bad you can make a poultice. I started about last august because the pain in my knees was dreadful, only took it once daily and the pain disappeared. I stopped in December and pain returned a month ago so started on the potion again and pain has disappeared again. Still only taking it once daily but after looking at the Folk medicine site have upped the vinegar to 4 teaspoons to 2 of honey. Don't bother with the bicarb.

Sorry, hope I haven't gone on too much about it but I do think it is magic. Skin has a glow again, blood pressure is down and it appears to have got the metabolism going again. Its the only thing I can put down to the weight loss.

The Other Jan

PS  Jan, I think it has even got rid of the inflatable tum

Hi Poppy

There was me thinking it was going to be complicated - lol.  Just looked in my cupboard and I have a huge bottle of Vinaigre de Cidre (unopened) and I can't remember what I brought it for.  Does it improve memory loss as well.  Anyway - I shall start this evening as I think I have a jar of honey stashed in the back of the cupboard somewhere.

Do you have it with hot water?

Maybe it will also help me get out of bed in the morning without groaning about my knees hurting.

Jan

Hi Jan

Just have the potion in cold water, takes a bit of stirring to dissolve the honey. OH doesn't like the taste (it cured his tendonitis) but I quite like it.

Really hope it works for you. Might improve memory it seems to do everything else [:D]

The Other Jan

Hello Again Jan

I do try and sup the potion for my aperitif. On auto pilot I sometimes get the feeling it doesn't matter what is in the glass  [8-)] Some days it works some it doesn't [6]

I think the alcohol might contribute to the aches but hopefully the potion balances it out and the additional benefits are good. My sister was diagnosed with ME last year and could hardly move, she started on the vinegar and doctor's couldn't believe the results. Sorry don't mean to sound like an american style advert but mentioned it because her alcohol consumption is consistently half a bottle of wine per night and more on special events. Perhaps this is the right balance, couldn't give a comparison with my alcohol consumption which tends to be a bit more erratic [blink] 

The Other Jan

PS. 2 teaspoons vinegar to 2 teaspoons honey, but it is difficult to spoon the honey.

I'm quite taken by this honey and vinegar potion and am going to give it a go. I am so creaky these days that anything is worth a try.  Would be good for all if those trying it post on their results.

Thanks for suggesting it..............................

If it's done you good, then I will try it too.  How long did it take before you noticed the difference?

Looks like Bugbear is going to give it a go too.

I remember watching a Billy Connelly sketch where he said you knew you were getting old when you couldn't stand up without groaning.  That's me and him indoors all over.  Once I'm down, I have to have something to hold onto to get back up again because my knees hurt so much.  Also a lot of it's to do with muscle weakness after my brain haemorrhage.  Because I could't do anything strenuous (and stil not allowed to), my muscles aren't as good as they used to be.

I agree in that I think alcohol consumption as a lot to do with the aches and I have cut down considerably.  In fact this evening, I poured a glass of wine while I was cooking dinner and ended up throwing most of it down the sink.

Jan