Fresh and Cooked Meats

mint

I have seen fresh and cooked meats being sold side by side in shops and market stalls.  Worried as I am about this, I have avoided buying cooked meats displayed in this way.

Is there any real need to worry?  If there is, then why is this "allowed" and why aren't droves of French people writhing about in agony after ingesting such meat products?

The two general shops in the village were inspected last year and both had to invest in separate displays for cold cuts and meats.

Because of the expense involved and the lack of floor space, they both opted to sell vaccum-packed meat rather than from a fresh counter.

What a laugh ...they go to all this trouble over displays of meat on stalls and spout off about the regulations  ...but.... when it comes to the urinal in the corner of one covered market I go to its fine for that to stay...I can stand and look over the wall at the food on display while I use it ....There are two situated in the square in our village  again  with a low wall to stand and look over .....No hygene problem thats killed off the villagers so far ....perhaps the Vendee flies avoid urinals in markers ?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have seen fresh and cooked meats being sold side by side in shops and market stalls.  Worried as I am about this, I have avoided buying cooked meats displayed in this way.

Is there any real need to worry?  If there is, then why is this "allowed" and why aren't droves of French people writhing about in agony after ingesting such meat products?

[/quote]

When norovirus took hold in France at the end of Novemeber last year a certain section of the British press gloatingly reported that this was due to poor hygiene in French food shops.  Now that around 3 million UK residents have had the D&Vs they've quietened down (difficult to talk and puke at the same time you see). Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. French friends and neighbours tell me that shopkeepers who fail to take good care quickly cease having any business to care about...

Most food poisoning is passed through the oral-faecal route. That is, poor handwashing is to blame. Raw meat if properly handled is not intrinsically a source of infection - witness the many people who eat raw beef in one guise or another (sometimes mixed with a raw egg), underdone lamb or barely warmed duck and completely fail to die. Where proper precautions are observed, there is no reason not to sell the raw and the cooked together.

I suppose, Riff-Raff, the other factor to take into account is that if we all ingest a few more germs, we gradually get used to them and they can no longer harm us in quite the same way.  Mind you, that's only one of those things that gets bandied about.  I don't know whether there is any factual basis for such observations.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I suppose, Riff-Raff, the other factor to take into account is that if we all ingest a few more germs, we gradually get used to them and they can no longer harm us in quite the same way.  Mind you, that's only one of those things that gets bandied about.  I don't know whether there is any factual basis for such observations.[/quote]

I amit that it sort of feels right - kept the old immune system humming with some small infections ready for the Big One. But I've no idea if it's actually true. I've been told that children brought up in houses that are not too clean tend to be more healthy and less prone to allergies. That excuse is good enough for me!