Not a gadget as such....

Helen

Much more down to earth than LED flashing pepper pots...I remember that when I visited France as a teenager several decades ago, the family I stayed with had a cute little dustpan and brush specially for sweeping breadcrumbs off the table at the end of the meal.  Much better than a damp cloth.

Try as I might I haven't been able to find anything similar now that I want one, apart from one really old, unappetising example at a vide grenier.  Don't people use them any more?  And if they do, what are they called - what do I ask for in a shop?  Which shops?  The supermarkets don't have them and neither do the rather tasteful tablewares shop in Falaise nor the local quincaillerie.

Suggestions please?

I haven't seen an article exactly as you have described.  But, in Intermarche, I did see a little plastic brush like a miniature version of a Hoover head.  If  you could imagine a small Ewebank (spelling?) without a handle, that will be it.

Not so dinky or pretty as a little pan and brush but should do the trick.

[quote user="Clair"]Something like this?
[/quote]

Almost perfect!  Not quite sure about the decoration on this particular model but a ramasse miettes is clearly what I am looking for - and Ebay is a great idea!

Many thanks

Helen

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Helen"]

Much more down to earth than LED flashing pepper pots...I remember that when I visited France as a teenager several decades ago, the family I stayed with had a cute little dustpan and brush specially for sweeping breadcrumbs off the table at the end of the meal.  Much better than a damp cloth.

Try as I might I haven't been able to find anything similar now that I want one, apart from one really old, unappetising example at a vide grenier.  Don't people use them any more?  And if they do, what are they called - what do I ask for in a shop?  Which shops?  The supermarkets don't have them and neither do the rather tasteful tablewares shop in Falaise nor the local quincaillerie.

Suggestions please?

[/quote]

When my husband's granny died - and this was in England - I was asked what I wanted as a souvenir and I chose a table brush and dustpan.  I'd never seen one before and I've never seen one since.  She was of the lunch at 12 and cucumber sandwiches at 4 brigade and I just remember her sweeping the table with that brush and pan.  It was a specific memory for me, but I must admit, I've not used it.  I expect it is buried in the attic somewhere.  It would be ok for crumbs from aaaafternoon tea, but no good for spag bol! For example. 

• 1 month later...
I am sorry this reply is very late, but I just happened across it, while browsing for something else, as one does.  I know exactly what you mean a little pan with a brush that fits into it.  I bought one for my daughter a few years ago from Carrefour it was in the car section, I had assumed it was for cleaning up debri from car seats etc.,  

[quote user="Helen"]This forum is fantastic at solving life's little problems![/quote]Helen, everything is relative they say but please permit me to observe that you have an enviable life if you class this as a problem, even a little one [kiss]

[:D]