Currant bread

Mik from LA

There has been some interest in the Lidl/Aldi premixed bread flour. I have been using the white bread mix (when I can get it) to make excellent currant bread as follows:-

Into a measuring jug put 100ml of milk, one egg, 1 TBS of honey then top up to a total volume to 300ml by adding warm water and put in bread maker pan. Add 500gm of ready mixed white bread flour. Start the bread maker on the dough setting.

Meanwhile weigh 50 gm of currants (called raisin de Corinth in our local veg shop) and 50gm of sultanas (the small golden type are best). Add these to the dough mix 10 mins after it has started (or according to instructions for various machines)

When dough is finished put in a tin loaf mould (I prefer the silicon moulds because they never stick) and place in a cold oven. Turn heat up to 200 deg and cook for 45 mins (most recipes say use a pre-heated oven but this way you get a good oven bounce).

When finished empty loaf out onto a rack and paint with honey and allow to cool.

Enjoy.

So you are basically making a brioche (see my recipe here) to which you add raisins.

I am quite intrigued by your cold oven start... The only time I bake from a cold oven is to make cheese popovers and they do come out very well, so I'll definitely give this a try [:D]

Cheese popovers

Makes 12 - Prep 10 mins - Cook 30 mins

2 eggs

130g plain flour, sifted

1tsp salt

250ml milk

40g butter, melted

50g grated parmesan

Beat the eggs lightly, and whiz for five seconds in a food processor or blender with the flour and salt. Add the milk and melted butter and whiz for five seconds or until smooth, without over-beating.

Stir in the cheese, and spoon the batter into a 12-hole mini pan or Yorkshire pudding pan.

Place in a cold oven. Set the temperature to 200C/Gas 6, and bake for between 25 and 30 minutes until risen and golden, without opening the oven door during baking.

Serve hot or warm.

Oops I forgot to say that you should cover with oiled film and leave to rise for about 1 hour after removing the dough from the bread machine. Yes I discovered  the cold start technique when I forgot to preheat the oven. It seems to work for any bread I make and allows it to rise that little bit extra before cooking making a lighter bread. If I leave it to rise too long before putting it in the oven it tends to collapse.

Hi all

Interesting posts, I make my dough in a bread maker, turn it out, then place on tray or loaf tin place in oven at 20 deg C for 20 minuets to allow a good rise then turn oven up to 250 deg C to cook this seems to give it an extra rise before cooking.

[quote user="Hereford"]I make currant (actually raisin) bread all the time. But: I just make it in the bread machine, why all this turning the dough out to cook?  I only use dough recipe to make rolls.

Mrs H[/quote]

I use the dough program quite often, just for the opportunity to make different shapes and have different toppings