Paupiettes de Porc

mint

Bought some of these because they looked so pretty in their parcels with their little bits of string .

Question is, what do you do with them?  How do you cook them?  What do you serve them with?

PLEASE help!  Going to cook them for visitors day after tomorrow.

Clair, you know, don't you?  Frenchie, you'd know as well?

Anyone, any ideas?

With cream and white wine

• paupiettes
  • 150 g mushrooms, sliced

• 30 g butter
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 15 cl (=150 ml) dry white wine
  • 15 cl (=150 ml) crème fraîche
  • salt & pepper

Brown paupiettes all over in a pan in butter + oil

Add sliced mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.

Add salt and pepper.

Add white wine and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 30 to 35 min.

About 10 minutes before the end of cooking, add cream and stir.

Check salt and pepper.

Finish

cooking.

Remove the strings and serve on a serving platter.

Coat with sauce and mushrooms.

Serve with mustard mash and green beans.

Clair, that's formidable (French sense of formidable)!

Can't wait to do it on Sunday.

Drinks & nibbles for tomorrow evening (only Brits)..

Easier to keep French and Brits apart because these are British Brits (beer, lots of wine, whisky, anything alcoholic etc etc).

Not all, admittedly.  One couple at least who won't be doing that.

French another evening for apéritif dinatoire.  Everyone will come more or less on time, stay couple of hours maximum and then they'll all go home.  Bliss! 

[quote user="ErnieY"]'er indoors, Mrs Bluecat, has a different way and cooks them in the oven so I've asked her if she would care to reveal her secret.

[/quote]

Yes, please, Erns, do ask Mrs Bluecat.

BTW, tell her I'm doing her mulled wine tomorrow evening.  Hmmm.......................

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="ErnieY"]'er indoors, Mrs Bluecat, has a different way and cooks them in the oven so I've asked her if she would care to reveal her secret.

[/quote]

BTW, tell her I'm doing her mulled wine tomorrow evening.  Hmmm.......................

[/quote]

You never invited me; after all the work i did clearing the moat of empty bottles.

I've only ever roasted paupiettes de porc and normally treat them as a mini roast dinner.  My normal process is to quickly sear them in a fying pan to seal in the juices and then transfer into a dish with goose or duck fat that's been in the oven at 190C (sorry, don't know the gas mark) for between 30 and 40 minutes depending on how you like them.  Although I haven't tried this, it might be nice to core an apple cut into 8 slices and roast with the meat for about 15 minutes so there's still a bit of crunch in the apple

I like to serve with diced potatoes roasted with rosemary; roast parsnips done in maple syrup and whatever green veg we have to hand.  I would also do whole roast shallots as well. 

Alternatively, just serve the paupiettes on a bed of sauerkraut mixed with lardons and a serving of spiced red cabbage.

Good luck with the mulled wine tomorrow Sweets

[quote user="woolybanana"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You never invited me; after all the work i did clearing the moat of empty bottles.

Dear Wooly, yes, you did champion work.

I have PM'ed you.

[/quote]

Did paupiettes à la Clair last night and they looked so impressive!  Felt dead clever cutting the strings and making sure I was seen to be cutting and pulling at them for the benefit of the Brits!

I did confess later and told them they came ready-tied with string!  I'd never make a convincing liar, nevermind fraudster...........unfortunately.

Yes, Christine, I did know about the veal and I am very careful to avoid veal products when I am out shopping.

Mrs Bluecat, if you are out there, thank you for the mulled wine recipe.  It tasted wonderful.  The only change I made was to add some good quality fresh orange juice and some extra sucre vanillé as there were some women who I knew prefer drinks to be less dry.

Still have some paupiettes left so I will be able to try your recipe for them in a day or two.

Interesting site, Clair.  Thank you.

I don't know, however, how readily available these veal products are?

I haven't bought veal in over 40 years and have eaten it about twice, I think.  Wouldn't mind rediscovering the taste, if I could source it in the way you have described.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Mrs Bluecat, if you are out there, thank you for the mulled wine recipe.  It tasted wonderful.  The only change I made was to add some good quality fresh orange juice and some extra sucre vanillé as there were some women who I knew prefer drinks to be less dry.

[/quote]

Glad you liked it Sweets and as I say, it's a matter of taste; fresh orange juice would be good.  No doubt we'll soon be thinking of Sangria or Pim's!!

Cooked paupiettes Mrs Bluecat's way this evening.  They were amazingly tender.

I've also found that they taste quite nice cold, sliced and eaten with some Coleman's mustard (Dijon just doesn't cut the mustard on this occasion).

Didn't do the apple suggestion, Mrs Bluecat, but I love the idea of roasting an apple with the paupiettes.