Shroom Heaven and Hell

Dog

Found a perfect immature Amanita Caesar this morning so hid it under some leaves - so that it would have time to grow - tonight it had been kicked to smithereens - HELL!

Walked to a local vide grenier and on the faithfull birch tree (it crops every year) were some of my favourite fanatastic bracket funghi. Not sure what the French call them but they are known in English as the Chicken of the Woods.

We picked the larger one and left the other smaller ones for another day.

What a treat for dinner yumeeeeeeeeeee - Heaven.

We finished of the last three bracket funghi,  Chickens of the Forest yesterday they are scrumptious.

We have three different books to identify mushrooms - plus I ask the old locals and if you need you can also check at the pharmacy.

If in doubt don't eat them.

[quote user="baypond"]I love mushrooms etc, but have a fear of eating something that I have mis-identified. It always seems a bit like russian roulette to me. If someone could create a simple toxicity test they would make millions![/quote]

It really is very simple. Just stick to one or two types that you are certain about. Perhaps ask your neighbours for help. If you have any doubt just leave the others alone. You can always take them to any pharmacy to check they are safe to eat.

If you start with ceps you will find it easy. There is nothing fatal that looks like them. Don't miss a great experience because of scare stories, just be sensible.

I took my very young niece and nephew hunting shrooms in the UK once.  We picked parasols.  When we got home I cooked them with a little garlic in butter for dinner.  My five year old niece decided she would prefer not to eat mushrooms and I made her a plain omlette instead.  In the middle of the night she woke me, she was quite ill with an upset stomach.  You have no idea how relieved I was that she had not eaten any mushrooms!  After that, I resolved never to share my fungi with anyone, the worry is just too great (and it also means you get to enjoy all the mushrooms!).[:D]