Problems with a new house

Pommier

We bought a new house last August and whilst most of the snagging has been done, there are still a couple of problems. The architect was liasing for us, but they seem to want to give up and have referred us to the builders. The builders say they 'va faire une déclaration de sinistre auprès de l'assurance' , but that was in April and still nothing's happened.

I've made an appointment with the notaire who dealt with the purchase as it was his efforts that got the snagging started, but has anyone any other suggestions?

We appear to have shoddy plumbing which means we can't use one of the bathrooms and which has caused black mould on the wall of an adjoining bedroom, so we must get something sorted soon.

I'm okish at French, but arguing on the phone is hard !

Get an expert to see what the problems are and maybe a huissier to certify them, then lettre recommandée avec accusé de reception stating the results to the builder, giving a time limit for repairs etc. Also read your house insurance to see if you have protection juridique and if so ask whether they cover the type of problem you have then send legal letters through the insurance company. In other words, start stoking up the fire.

Start by putting in a claim for water damage against your insurance company. They will send an expert out to look at the situation. If they find that the damage has been caused by poor workmanship they will deny the claim and put that in a report to you. With this report in hand contact the insurance covering the guarantee provided by the builder, at the same time contact your builder and let him know the procedure that you are following. rather than see his insurance premiums rise, I would imagine that the matter will be resolved quickly.

I am a little puzzled as to why you would have used a notaire in the purchase of a new house, the usual procedure would be to use the notaire in the purchase of  the land and after that the building company takes over. Make sure you retain copies of all correspondence and send all communication by registered letter with confirmation of receipt.