Cooks Treats

idun

Cooks treats and all that sort of stuff.

I am fond of food, but I am rather fond of some things, like when I strip a cooked chicken down and I have those little 'oysters' which will have been on the chicks back.

Licking the wooden spoon when I have finished  baking.

And my husband, scraping the edge of the rice pudding dish..... we have some friends who love doing that too, the lasagne dish is another or any gratin come to think.

Is this everyone, does anyone just wash up and not dip in a little to that which is untouched and left?? Or is it just us and our friends???

Somewhat chewier than chicken oysters but they were possibly overcooked (40 min) due to a long overseas telephone call. Cooked in a herby chorizo and mushroom cream sauce and served with mashed parsnips.

They ended up snooker-ball sized having started as hockey ball sized. If we have them again it might be better to slice them first so they cook quickly.

Did you just buy the oysters???

I think that I would have cooked them for less time too, as they probably don't need much cooking, although I have never cooked them on their own, they have only ever been on the bird. And I cannot remember the last time I cooked a whole turkey.

I was thinking that if I could get them here,  I'd try breading them, that lovely soft meat with a crunchy outside, along with a similar sauce and veg, lovely.

Yes, a pack of four labelled "Sot-l'y-laisse de dinde a mijoter" 0.408kg original price per kilo 11.90€. We'd seen them in the anti-gaspi before but not known what they were. I'd taken a photo of the label to identify when we got home. Not sure how often they are on sale.

Given how thick they were they would have needed some time for the centre to be cooked through. So next time we have them they'll each be halved or cut into three. Looking on the internet, most recipes seen to indicate 20-40 mins but the sizes in the photos do seem to vary.

Ah the joys of cooking, that delicate balance of what is suggested and how long things really should be cooked.

I do understand why some people buy these cooking thermometers and stick them into the meat to see if the meat is hot enough in the middle, ie cooked.

Still it is a wonderful idea selling these and I would certainly give them a whirl.

I think it would be rather hard to get a thermometer probe into the centre of turkey oysters and then get an accurate reading.

We low-temperature sous vide beef steaks, duck fillets, chicken breasts, etc. It would work well on the oysters. They could then be given a coating and a quick fry just to get that crunchy or covered in a sauce.