Please post your French language book for discussion suggestions here

Russethouse

• 2 months later...

'Vipère au poing' by Hervé Bazin.

The trilogy by Robert Sabatier : 'Les allumettes suédoises', ' Les sucettes à la menthe' et 'Les noisettes sauvages'

'Un sac de bille' by Joseph Joffo

'Le blé en herbe' by Colette

'Les petits enfants du siècle' by Christiane Rochefort

I remember having to study these in French literature classes during my 5ème/4ème/3ème. And I am reading them again now. I see few more things in the books now that I am grown up, I didn't quite see then.

They are easy to read for those of you who feel that your language is not quite up to reading the whole of H. de Balzac or V.Hugo.  I am just mindful/thoughtful that not all on the forum may be at Bac+10 standard on their French.

Any of Fred Vargas' 'polars', though her earlier ones were best IMHO. I'm suggesting these because she is exceptionally good at dialogue, her characters use lots of colloquial expressions. The books are very well written and lively, and the characters and the stories are gripping (if you like clever detective stories) so even if you don't understand every word or even every sentence, as long as you can hang onto the plot you'll keep reading to the end.

"L'Aiffricaine"

I so agree with these choices especially the last one which really touched my heart.

The trilogy by Robert Sabatier : 'Les allumettes suédoises', ' Les sucettes à la menthe' et 'Les noisettes sauvages'

'Un sac de billes' by Joseph Joffo

Though I may not join the reading club there are a few more I would recommend but will get back here with the titles later.

Edit : I think the title is "Trois sucettes à la menthe"