LIBRARY AT CORIGNE!

Philouis

• 4 months later...
That should read, LIBRARY AT LORINGE. Have been there and it is a very good library. See item from Impression Magazine below!

CALLING ALL BOOKAPHILES!

By Philouis

I  have always been an avid reader on any subject, but since living in France, I have really missed my regular weekly visits to the mobile library that visited our village in Devon.

There is a very smart and up-to-date library in Ruffec, but alas, no English language section. Occasionally, I managed to purchase a few dog-eared paper backs from brocante sales, but the choice is always limited and not always the books I really wanted. In desperation I resorted to purchasing books from Amazon UK, but although their prices are competetive, the extra cost of postage, made this an expensive process.

One happy day, whilst surfing the net, on the Living France Forum I saw a mention of an English library for expats in a the village of Loringé near Sauzé-Vaussais in the Deux Sevre. It was only about 30k from where we lived, so my wife and I went for an exploratory visit.

The village of Loringé is very pretty and easy to find and we discovered the library in the canteen of the school house. It is organised and run by two dedicated English ladies on Saturday afternoons 2 - 5pm and a French lady on Wednesday afternoons from 3 - 5pm.

They have an amazing collection of over 9000 books; hardback and paperback; all up-to-date and in excellent condition. They are all tidily sorted on shelves under the authors name and have a fiction and non-fiction content. There are also many French language books for anyone wishing to hone up on their language skills. After becoming a member; paying; your 2€ per annum fee, (Infants free!) you can take out 14 books at one time and keep them for an indefinite period.

The  atmosphere is warm and very welcoming; new members always accepted and the ladies will take any of your unwanted books, which will be added to their impressive collection.

For any queries,  please contact,

Mesdames

Elizabeth Barney   05 29 27 10 19

or Gil Gofannon    05 49 97 01 26.