Thanks a million book lovers!

Over the last six years this forum has been a lifeline. Running an auberge/restaurant with gites with my husband, this was where we turned to for advice on anything from fixing toilets to publicity to where to get decent sheets.

But the book section in particular has been my solace. After a late night in the restaurant I would come into the office and wind down by reading the latest posts.

I bought my first French book as a result of a recommendation on here (Fred Vargas!). I have a list of books in my purse for the rare trips to bookshops, all the titles learned on here.

And to come in the other month to a thread 44 pages long on kindle, was just brilliant.

So a huge thanks to all of you who contribute - and hopefully from now on out I won't be just a lurker! I'm now writing full time so I no longer need an excuse to spend time on here. I can just call it research!

Julia Stagg

For anyone interested, Amazon.fr seems to be selling books with a small percentage off and no postage at the moment.

Could be they do it all the time:  I don't remember as I haven't bought from them for many months.

But I ordered a Jean Giono that came within 3 days so I am looking forward to reading it, well ploughing through it, with dictionary in one hand and book in the other!

Thanks Russethouse.

As for the kindle price - you quite rightly say that it is out of my hands but I do know that Hachette (the parent company of my publisher Hodder) are one of the big 4 publishers who have decided to fix the price of e-books under what is known as the Agency Model.

Basically, this means Amazon is simply a supplier of ebooks for these publishers, not a retailer. It cannot change the prices. Then there is VAT charged on top... See the link below for a better explanation.

http://www.mcgrellis.net/2011/01/e-books-agency-pricing-and-vat/

The system is widespread across Europe and in the States but there is an EU investigation into it - Office of Fair Trading type of thing. They have already raided the offices of the top publishers in France - notably not in a dawn raid but in a mid-morning, get-it-over-before-lunch, raid! I think all authors are waiting to see what will happen next.

Anyway - hope you enjoy L'Auberge!