Advice needed

Pip

My OH has had several BMW's, the latest being R1150RT.   Sadly, he had to let it go because of the weight (he's 5' 7" and of slim build and older than he'd like to be !)  He needs to find a lighter bike for touring etc. and has been told the Deauville may suit him.  Also, that he may be able to have the saddle lowered which would help.  We would welcome any advice on this before he starts looking to buy - many thanks.

Hi - The Deauville is a good reliable bike but again is quite heavy as I am afraid are most touring bikes. I presume you are not going to be embarking on long tours requireing you to haul a major amount of luggage around with you?  The middleweight BMW F800ST or F800  http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=f800st I guess is maybe more in line with your OH's style but it has a high seat at 32" which may cause some problems.

Have you tried looking at some of the cruisers out there - there are quite a few mid range bikes which are low to the ground and also have a low centre of gravity making them much easier to ride - of course they are an aquired taste and range from Harley Davidson right through the Japanese Brands to the up and comming Chinese versions Hyosung ...(http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=2

here is The-Lovely-Wendy modeling some... http://www.whereistonynow.co.uk/shoppingforcruiser.wmv Wendy is 4'11" so you can see your OH would have no trouble holding them up.

After thought - not a tourer biut still very much a bike and one your OH could relate to is the Triumph Bonniville http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/5778.aspx I have ridden one of these and they are quite fun, Agile light and fairly easy to handle.

Thank you for your help Nomad.  I will get my OH to look at the links you kindly provided and will let you know what he decides on.  He is off on another three week tour of France in April and travels very light.  He did one last year and dropped his BMW twice (luckily a biker buddy was there to help him lift it !) This is why he is looking for a more managable bike.  He has looked at some Harleys, but after hitting snow in the Massif Central last year, he thinks he would prefer some cover !  Thanks again for your help.

No Pip it cannot, but as it is narrower and lower than the R1150RT (in the low position) in the first place, it does not need to be lowered. The whole bike can be lowered with different shocks or a longer torque arm if needed.

I nearly dropped my RT many times at walking pace due to the height and top heavy weight of the thing. I changed it for a K1200GT which had a lower seat (and the seat was heated too!), but went for the R1100S after riding one and finding that it was much lower and more managable. It was also 99bhp against the K1200GTs 130bhp, so needed no mods for France. The R1150RT is 95 bhp.

With the BMW panniers and tank bag, (the panniers are the same as the RT) it makes a good alrounder without the bulk of the RT.

Many thanks Nomad and Bob for all your help.  It has given OH food for thought and he was very interested in the links.  When he has decided which bike to go for I will let you know (hopefully by the end of March or it could be a walking tour !!)

Tell him to Try the Yamaha TDM 900. Very underated bike, yet comfy, good upright seating, excellent mirrors, good mpg and plenty of oomph to keep up with the quicker guys should he need it. No sore backside, so 200-250 mile blasts good. Will take panniers and top box and 2 people easily. Good smooth gearbox, so it can be quite relaxed, and benefitis from a Scottoiler. Might not have the status of a BMW but the price difference pays for a lot of petrol / Insurance.

Aitch