Bike Holidays

Tia

The reason I was aksing for all those cynical people out there (Bugbear) is that I have booked a break with them which is a lot of money and before I send the payment I wanted to know if anyone else had booked a holiday through them. I have been on their website thats how I booked the trip for Le Mans MotoGP. Just wanted some help from you guys - SORRY

Don't be sorry Tia. In my experience these bike tour holidays are very expensive. I find it cheaper and much more interesting to just ride to where you want and book into a local hotel when and where you want. The tour people are playing with peoples fears and making them feel secure in that everything is taken care of. I have never not been able to find a hotel and that makes our trips better in that we go where we want and do what we want.

A post on this forum with dates and places of where you will be would get you a better experience than a tour as people would, I am sure, be willing to meet up for a ride out with you.

Thanks for that I get a bit intimidated by people of this forum sometimes as I am only new to it. The only reason I wanted to get something booked was because its for the Le Mans MotorGP in May and I have tried booking accomodation separately and everywhere is coming up 'no availability'. I understand from others everywhere gets packed out. I have been offered 3 nights accomodation and grandstand reserved seat and transfer to circuit at what I think is a reasonable price compared to other sites but you just never know whether they are kosher or not. Like you say any other time its great just to head off and see where you end up and book in anywhere you fancy

Cynical, moi ?.......................................[:D][:D]

Not me, Tia, just do as Bob T has suggested and do your own thing. Camping at the MotoGP is fine or why not post on here to see if anyone else is going from your area or who would like to meet up on-route.

Where are you exactly ?

[quote user="Bob T"]Don't be sorry Tia. In my experience these bike tour holidays are very expensive. I find it cheaper and much more interesting to just ride to where you want and book into a local hotel when and where you want. The tour people are playing with peoples fears and making them feel secure in that everything is taken care of. I have never not been able to find a hotel and that makes our trips better in that we go where we want and do what we want.
A post on this forum with dates and places of where you will be would get you a better experience than a tour as people would, I am sure, be willing to meet up for a ride out with you.
[/quote]

Agreed.  I have travelled by bike from Zeebrugge to Metz, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Rouen, Le Touquet, and Calais in one trip, and the only hotel i pre-booked was in Le Touquet, due to there being a popular festival on at the time.  Advantage of doing it that way is that you don't HAVE to be anywhere on any given day, other than the ferry port for your trip home.  You don't need a tour company!!

Come on then Tia. When are you going to just have a tour around France? Just post a rough route here and we will all try and meet you in different places to show you the best roads in each of our regions. I am sure that many of us will be up for that, even Gary (bugbear). We are all bikers with the same interests and passions.

As soon as I have sorted out some time and weather I intend to wander off for a day or two and will head north. I would hope that I could meet Gary, Sunday Driver and a few others for a coffee on the way. Life is far too short to worry about getting accomodation. Every French and English biker will always be willing to stop for a chat and some friendly advice, that is what we all do.

I have even offered complete strangers an overnight in my spare bedroom before, but only if they are bikers, and some have taken me up on it.

Same here Tia, if you're heading down this way and want to meet up, no problem. Come and enjoy the brilliant roads of sunny [:)] france.

Our house is regularly full of visiting bikers usually heading south (white & pale) or north (sun tanned).....................

We even have a few friends who ride those expensive shaft-drive things with sticky-out cylinder heads....................[:D][:D]

Thanks for all the advice and kind invites we would love to meet up with people as we have never taken our bike over before. My partner has just sold his 1200 Bandit and is doing his other bike Z1000 up to take over to ride the French roads and it would be lovely to have some experience riders to ride along with sounds great. We are coming over on the 30th April for 3 months to finish off our house which incidently is near Clamecy (58) 40 mins away from Auxerre/20 mins from Vezelay and we would love to take some time out to fully appreciate the lovely roads out there. We can't wait !!!!

One of the many things I love about France is that in general it is very biker friendly. It is very rare to find that a hotel suddenly becomes full when you arrive on a bike, you are normally welcomed just the same as if you arrived in a Rolls.

Most car drivers are also biker aware, which makes a nice change from the UK.

We often use the various motel chains, Premiere Classe, B&B etc, because they offer good basic accomodation at a very reasonable price, and you can book in at any time using the automation with your credit card.

I think it's also true to say that bikes are less likely to be "lifted" in France. But perhaps I just own the wrong type of bike.

Tia,

Nice to have some company in Burgundy. We are 30 Kms west of Auxerre. Have just sold up in UK to make it possible to be there permanently.

I have FJR 1300 and husband has one too. We will be around from 21st April also with daughter who has Divvy 900, and other daughter who goes pillion.

Later in the summer, we will also be doing our usual trek south to Alicante which we usually do unplanned, wandering as we fancy. Our route usually starts in Zeebrugge.

Good to make contact at some point?