Insurance

yello

I bought a Yam YZF600R Thundercat yesterday (2nd hand) to replace the one I had stolen just before leaving the UK. The owner included the insurance (??) as he's not getting another bike. He said I can ride the bike on that insurance but I wan't to make sure. I know insurance in France is for the bike (and not the rider as in common in the UK) but there must be some component of rider(s) involved in the insurance.

The bike's insurance runs until Feb 2008. Am I okay to ride it until then?

Seriously though, is that all I am required to do? Contact the insurance company and advise them that I am the new owner?

I just get my head around that, that's all. So an 18 year old can go out and by an insured R1 and bob's your auntie?

If you contact the insurer and advise them that you are the new owner, they will transfer the policy into your name.  Dependent upon your risk situation (ie, you live in the Paris suburbs in one of the high rise flats) you may be asked to pay an additional premium (assuming the exisiting policy is fully paid up).

French insurers normally allow any driver, but they often contain restrictions such as limiting other drivers to occasional use only, restrictions on age, additional excesses for younger drivers, insurer's permission needed, etc. Whilst 'piggybacking' on a seller's insurance to get you home is not unusual, you must then regularise the situation.

Cheers SD. A mine of info as always. Another question though. Do I need

to get the insurance sorted before going into the prefecture to get the

carte gris done?

I have also just found out that a registered

bikes needs to be insured even if it is not being ridden, i.e. garaged

or off the road...

from here with their hightlights and italics...

[quote]

L'Article L324-2 du code de la route précise que

(inséré par Loi nº 2004-204 du 9 mars 2004 art. 59 I Journal Officiel du 10 mars 2004)

I. - Le fait, y compris par négligence, de mettre ou de maintenir en circulation un véhicule terrestre à moteur

ainsi que ses remorques ou semi-remorques sans être couvert par une

assurance garantissant sa responsabilité civile conformément aux

dispositions de l'article L. 211-1 du code des assurances est puni de 3

750 Euros d'amende.[/quote]

(With the help of google and a translator! [;-)])

Hi yello - interesting thread - I hadn't realised about the need for insurance if the bike's laid up. I've got 6 month insurance for mine (getting a bit 'nesh' in my old age so don't fancy winter riding any more!)) so presumably I'll have to extend it to cover me through the winter. OR is that what a 'certificat de non gage' is all about - a sort of French SORN?

I believe the 'certificat de non gage' just confirms that there's no other financial interest in the bike, i.e. it's not on HP!

But maybe there is a SORN type mechanism whereby you un-register the bike! I wouldn't hold my breath though!

Yello

No requirement to produce your insurance certificate when re-registering at your prefecture.

You are right about the requirement for continuous insurance although it's actually an article from a different code which applies.  I've forgotten which one, so don't ask me to look it up again...[;-)]

Deauville

The UK SORN process is designed to exempt you from having to pay vehicle excise duty (road tax) when a vehicle is laid up and not being used on the road.  As there is no equivalent taxation in France, a SORN system does not exist here.

As all French insurances are annual policies, you can't cancel mid term unless you provide proof that you've sold the bike.  In theory, you could cancel at renewal time and keep the bike locked up off the road, but this probably won't coincide with your new lifestyle as a 'fair weather biker'...[:P]

Thanks S.D. - You state 'you could cancel at renewal time and keep the bike locked up off the road...' which appears to be slightly at odds with the original thread. I've actually taken out a 6 month insurance contract to fit my lifestyle, does this then mean that it will need to be renewed at the end of the 6 month term even if it's not being used or can I cancel and then lawfully lock it and leave it - I can't imagine French fair weather bikers continously insuring their machines

Sorry, I haven't come across a six month insurance policy before - because the law requires that all motor vehicles be subject to continuous insurance.  The usual system is to issue a full year's policy but reduce the level of benefits during the 'non riding'season thereby reducing the premiums for that period.

The requirement for continuous insurance is to cover situations where a vehicle which 'off the road' is then used by someone other than the insured without his expressed permission, eg a 'mate' or a family member borrows it, then causes a fatal accident.  The concept is that someone should always be responsible for any insurance liability.