"Nous voulons doubler le nombre de PV aux motards"

Clair

They're saying that, of the 1.2 million speed camera photos they have of bikes, 900.000 are from front facing cameras and they can't identify the bike. Of the remaining 300.000 there are 250.000 where they can't read the plate. The gendarmes are always on the lookout for bikes with small plates at race meetings and the like and I imagine that they are planning to install more cameras that take a shot of the rear of the vehicle.

I've already noticed it's harder to find places who will make small plates!

Charles mentioned rear facing cameras---------- thats going to cause alot of upset for lady riders and pillion passengers through fear of " does my bum look big in this "  . Guys don't laugh , because we'll be ones in trouble for not telling them the truth to start with !    [:-))]

I use a small late on my enduro bike because if it's too large it gets snapped off by trees etc. Certainly not a follower of fashion but the bike doesn't have indicators, horn or mirrors either, all of which the gendarmes tend to turn a blind eye to as long as the bike is insured, fitted with road legal tyres and you're driving steadily on the tarmac road.

Hi Charles

Its the same for my wr400 no indicators, wing mirrors  small No plate etc, which doesnt seem to be a problem so long as you ride sensibly on main roads and villages, a group of us were followed through a village by gendarmes, number plates obscured by mud etc but we werent stopped ,one moto was brand new with hand written plate, we were riding in single file and not pulling wheelies etc. Just riding sensibly, its the sme off road, ride within your limits and respect the other people  using the trails as per CODEVER.

Regards Gary

ps the bike is insured

They have the same problems here as in the UK with mini-motos and motocrossers out on the roads and trails. The gendarmes always seem to be pretty reasonable if you're just going about your business in a sensible fashion. A lot of 'bikers' just make themselves too conspicuous and the standard of riding is also very poor. If they do manage to nick twice as many speeding bikes it will still only be a drop in the ocean.

You have to smile about this question of motorcycle Number Plates.

In the UK they are far too big and out of scale with the size and style of the machine but there are those who insist on fitting smaller ones. They are usually the ones who moan the loudest when pulled by the law.

In France they are a perfect size in keeping with the style of the bike and yet there are those who still want to fit smaller ones.

Human nature, I suppose................................[:D]