Helmets - reflective material

makfai

Does anyone know if there are any specific requirements regarding reflective material on bike helmets?

I have just replaced my aged Schuberth with a new one and in the manual it mentions specific reflective decals for use in France.  The dealer had no idea so I emailed Schuberth in Germany and they are sending me a set. But I didn't know there was a specific requirement re these. 

I will be interested to see what they look like!  Can't find mention in the Code de la Route (maybe I have missed it!).

Interesting question. I have noticed that all helmets worn by French bikers and all helmets sold in France have white reflective bits applied. We have BMW helmets without them, bought in the UK, but those on sale here have them. Never been stopped yet.

The code de la route merely specifies that motorcycle users must wear a homologated crash helmet.

Homologation is evidenced by a green NF sticker or an E-mark (normally found on the inside).  The latest versions numbered R22-04 and R22-05 feature the reflective strips and these are the only helmets currently permitted for sale in France. 

Older versions where the homologation number ends in 01/02/03 do not have reflective strips and may no longer be offered for sale.  However, existing owners are permitted to continue using them.

If you want a different style of decal you could try www.reflectivedecals.com. I have no association with them other than purchasing from them in a motorcycle show some years ago.

I still use them on my helmets, and if correctly positioned at the rear of the helmet also help to avoid any scratches where, if like me, you have a shelf that butts up against the garage wall.

Aitch

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The code de la route merely specifies that motorcycle users must wear a homologated crash helmet.

Homologation is evidenced by a green NF sticker or an E-mark (normally found on the inside).  The latest versions numbered R22-04 and R22-05 feature the reflective strips and these are the only helmets currently permitted for sale in France. 

Older versions where the homologation number ends in 01/02/03 do not have reflective strips and may no longer be offered for sale.  However, existing owners are permitted to continue using them.

[/quote]

That is all I, too, could find but the helmet already has the reference nos inside to show it meets the standards but it does not have the 'French reflectors'. I suspect these refs nos refer to the shell and inner material/construction and it meeting manufacturing standards rather than it meeting any reflective requirements.  I say this only because if the helmet carries these numbers yet the manufacturer has an additional kit to meet French requirements I assume that these are outwith the R22-04 etc criteria.

However, all will be revealed when the kit arrives and I have more to reflect on!

I use my racing helmet, if it's good enough for 290mph at Indy, it's good enough for 65 on the road. Onlt been stopped twice, once so the officer could have a close look, and once so the officer could offer to buy it!!!

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/Copyofhelm.jpg[/IMG]

Now the point is, no NF sticker, but they were more than Happy with an ACU/RAC sticker, and a FIA scrutineers pass! Oh and it has built in mic/ear pieces, and they weren't bothered that I could plug in my phone or stereo. Lack policing or double standards???

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I use my racing helmet, if it's good enough for 290mph at Indy, it's good enough for 65 on the road.[/quote]

Maybe not.  Was it painted after it left the factory?  ('Dream Machine' is a bit of a giveaway.) That's the end of its homologation for road use, then.  The requirements for road use in France are that the helmet is "homologué et équipé d’autocollants rétrovisibilité".  Furthermore, "Il ne doit pas subir de modifications (peinture par exemple ou accessoires supplémentaires non homologués)."

I cannot claim a legally authoritative source, but it's from a CERTU publication,  "FICHE n°15 - La réglementation concernant les caractéristiques techniques des deux-roues motorisés et des quads, leurs équipements et leurs conditions de conduite - janvier2008".  This is a distillation of then-current law in accessible brochure format.  My copy was distributed by the FFMC earlier this year, but it may be on the CERTU website (I had a quick look, but couldn't easily find it).

Aside: SD -- It's the one I sent you at the time.

Whilst I think there is very little risk of being stopped for not having reflective stickers, it could well be added to the list following some other transgression.  I have no idea what the tarif would be.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]The latest versions numbered R22-04 and R22-05 feature the reflective strips and these are the only helmets currently permitted for sale in France.[/quote]

AFAIAA, R22.04 and R22.05 are references to the ECE Regulation number and do not specify reflective patches.  These patches are specific to France (bless 'em) and are in addition to any Euro-compliance condition.

Is there such a thing as national derogation for ECE Regs?

[quote user="bmt"][quote user="f1steveuk"]I use my racing helmet, if it's good enough for 290mph at Indy, it's good enough for 65 on the road.[/quote]

Maybe not.  Was it painted after it left the factory?  ('Dream Machine' is a bit of a giveaway.) That's the end of its homologation for road use, then.  The requirements for road use in France are that the helmet is "homologué et équipé d’autocollants rétrovisibilité".  Furthermore, "Il ne doit pas subir de modifications (peinture par exemple ou accessoires supplémentaires non homologués)."

I cannot claim a legally authoritative source, but it's from a CERTU publication,  "FICHE n°15 - La réglementation concernant les caractéristiques techniques des deux-roues motorisés et des quads, leurs équipements et leurs conditions de conduite - janvier2008".  This is a distillation of then-current law in accessible brochure format.  My copy was distributed by the FFMC earlier this year, but it may be on the CERTU website (I had a quick look, but couldn't easily find it).

Aside: SD -- It's the one I sent you at the time.

Whilst I think there is very little risk of being stopped for not having reflective stickers, it could well be added to the list following some other transgression.  I have no idea what the tarif would be.

[/quote]

Even though the various scrutineering stickers were applied, after the paint job? I've always know that track helmets are  rarely legal for the road, but I ahve always used them. Not because I have always been given them (I love a sponsor), but because they are better helmets, and it's my head! Still I wonder why the French policeman who stopped me wanted to buy it, it certainly wasn't a fine!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Even though the various scrutineering stickers were applied, after the paint job?

[/quote]

Stickers as well as painted?  Tsk, tsk!

Race scrutineering is not a substitute for homologation, for road use.  The whole point of having recognised standards and marking is to provide go/no-go testing, both for the consumer and the law keeper.  I agree that your ex-race helmet is at least sufficient for road use.  An after-market exhaust can may not be noisy, but if it doesn't carry an e-mark, it can fail an MoT (UK, of course).

This is all bit of devil's advocacy on my part here, I agree, but you (me, one) could just as easily come across a jobsworth who happens to know the letter of the law and wants to apply it.  Personally, I prefer to be as watertight as practicable.

I have now received the items from Schuberth. They are colour matched to the helmet (black) but in the dark are reflective.

They are produced on 3M Scotchlight Film and are an elongated oval shape.  There are four of them and each measure about 85mm x 35mm (highest and longest points).

Schuberth haven't told me where to stick them (and I am NOT inviting suggestions!) so I have not yet got to the bottom (No!!!!!) of what this is all about.

Will ask the nice Schuberth people again.

Knowing the wit and humour which this Forum generates it is with no small amount of trepidation that I post the reply from Shuberth as to wher to stick the stickers!

you can place 2 on the front side of the helmet, and 2 on the back of the helmet. There are no exact rules, where to put, but mostly on front and backside.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Kind Regards