How much time do you have to ride your bike?

Just a general interest, conversational posting really but I find myself increasingly envious of those that have time on their hands. I manage about 2 to 3 hours a week on my bike, haven't been on a long bike trip for years. I could almost wish I was still commuting, as I did for a time, in the UK. I'm lucky in that I don't care about the weather but spring usually offers the best weather but all my free time is taken up gardening!

I think I must be doing something wrong.

My husband says much the same thing.  [:(]  He hardly ever gets out but managed a good trip to the Eifel region last year - Belgium and Germany and said it was great.  [:D]  Unfortunately he hasn't found anyone in our area to give him a push !

[quote user="LesFlamands"]

......................................................but all my free time is taken up gardening!

I think I must be doing something wrong.

[/quote]

You may just have your priorities wrong there.

Motorcyle  Motorcyle 2 Motorcyle 

It may look small in that picture, Steve, but it is the 15 sq meter wing and lifts 450kg. I would like to change to the 13 sq meter wing for more speed and better economy, but even this wing is more economical than either the car or the bikes.

I was offered an auto gyro flight a couple of weeks ago, but declined - far to much to go wrong. The other problem is that I would want one and they are very expensive to buy and run, for example;

Fuel burn, m/l 10 or 11 liters per hour. a/g 20 to 30 liters.

Cost to buy, m/l from 3000 euro, a/g 60000+ euro.

Engine replacement new, m/l from 2000 to 11000 euros, a/g 19000 euros.

Mine is capable of flying from the Dordogne to the English channel on a tank of fuel, but I don't think that any auto gyro has that sort of range.

No Gary that photo was just as we were taking off. The normal climb out speed is 55 ish mph and the stall speed is around 38 at maximum weight. The direction of travel is probably around 35 degrees from the ground, that is what 100 bhp does for you! The wing would have to be about 17 degrees angle of attack to the oncoming airflow to stall.

A flex wing does not really stall anyway as one part of the wing will start to stall before the rest. If I fly at around 40 mph with the bar out and no throttle, there is no definite stall and the nose does not drop, I only practice this above 1000' though.

If you look at my blog, the latest post has a video that Jude took of a take off and you will see the angle that the machine is capable of climbing at, and I was not using full power in the video.