Problems with Certificate of Conformity from Yamaha France for XJR 1200

beziers_jules

Hi,

Sorry it's another importing a Bike query, but I've had a read through all other threads here, and can't find anything similar to my problem. 

I'm trying to get my UK registered 1998 Yamaha XJR 1200 registered here in France, but having difficulty with Yamaha France, and would appreciate any help or suggestions.

In summary, the bike was originally a Dutch specification bike imported into the UK at new.  Therefore the speedo is in KPH, and the headlight already dips to the right, so I thought there would be no problems. I've even seen a couple of other identical spec bikes here in France on french plates,

I wrote to Yamaha France asking for an Attestation De Conformite Partielle, giving them the full details, including history, photographs, and a copy of the V5. They wrote back saying they could issue a cerificate, which would cost 100 Euros.  I decided that this would be easier than a DRIRE inspection, and only 25 Euros more expensive, so sent a cheque and a letter requesting the certificate. 

After two months (!) they eventually sent me the Certificate, together with a sample copy of the DRIRE type approval Certificate of Conformity for the XJR 1200 Type 4PU (which it is).  However, for some reason they have specifically excluded the Lights and Indicators from their attestation ?  furthermore this attestation might also be saying that the Speedo and Mirrors are in question, though the way it is worded/layed out it is difficult to tell (I've had a couple of others look at the certificate and they agree it's a very ambiguous). 

All of the parts in question are standard factory fit Yamaha parts, and I find it difficult to believe that the indicators, lights or mirrors are different in different EU countries ??

My telephone French is still not up to detailed discussions, so I had a friend phone them to query the exclusions.  In response, they said that they could not attest that these items conform to French specification, and that I need to take the bike to the DRIRE for an inspection !,  so what did I just pay 100 Euros for ??.

Furthermore, according to them, a DRIRE inspection is necessary anyway for a mororcycle even with a full Certificate of Conformity !,  which goes against all the information I have found here and on other forums.

Anyone else had problems of this nature with Yamaha ?  or have any advice on which way to go ?  if I go for a DRIRE inspection, will it cost me the full 75 Euros ?.

Cheers

Jules

I'm puzzled as to why you requested an Attestation De Conformite Partielle, by definition it suggests that you knew there were problems yet you say you were not expecting any because of the bikes origins.

In the circumstances I don't see that you have much choice but to go to the DRIRE. Others may know differently but I'm not aware they do inspections pro-rata so if €75 is the going rate then that is what you will probably have to pay. It's possible I guess that you might encounter a friendly inspector who takes pity on you, stranger things have happened !

Good luck

EDIT: It's occured to me that the reason Yamaha France have excluded the lights is because it is UK registered and have therefore assumed them to be modified for that market. Unfortunately they cannot just take your word for it that they are not so without examining the bike for themselves they cannot legitimately attest that they are compliant. I wonder if a visit to an authorised Yamaha agent and a letter from them confirming the lights are OK might persuade Yamaha France to issue a full certificate ?

If this is not possible then depending on how keen you are to get riding and how much stomach you have for a fight the DRIRE route might still be the pragmatic approach.

[quote user="beziers_jules"]....

However, for some reason they have specifically excluded the Lights and Indicators from their attestation ?  furthermore this attestation might also be saying that the Speedo and Mirrors are in question, though the way it is worded/layed out it is difficult to tell (I've had a couple of others look at the certificate and they agree it's a very ambiguous).[/quote]

As there is no CT for bikes, they have no other mechanism for verifying lights/mirrors/reflectors.

I had to have a DRIRE inspection on an F6C that I bought in Germany, (so EU compliant), and later registered in the UK and then brought it to France.

I had MPH and KPH speedos but never changed the light. The DRIRE only checked the mirrors and reflectors - mirrors may not be convex and reflectors may not be red on the sides (US made bike).

Think its a gotcha.

John