A friend of mine is biking again

f1steveuk

A few years ago, when I still worked in F1/WRC/F3000 etc etc, I used to make sure I got to know the drivers in the "lower" formula, so that if they made it into F1, then asking for a interview would be easier. One driver that stood out was Jason Watt. Destined for F1 and to be World Champion, just as he was about to make the jump up, he was asked to take part in a photo shoot for a bike dealer in Demark. During the shoot, Jason was spat off the bike, and ended up in a wheel chair.  Jason recently e mailed me, having won the Danish touring car championship in a hand control Seat, against "able-bodied" drivers. I wondered if he missed is bikes, being a total petrol head. His response is below................................

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/jason.jpg[/IMG]

Note the retractable wheels and mechanism. This is the determination that would have made him he first black GP driver/winner champion. One of the great, "what if" s of our time.

The term "Sports Personality" is sometimes not sufficient. I had never heard of this chap yet he is a sporting champion. He isn't a disabled sporting champion he has chosen not to be and fair play to him. Inspirational guy for sure, I wonder if we will see him in British Touring Cars.

Sadly no, I think the reg's that prevented Archie Scott-Brown etc, are still in place, and as such the RAC wouldn't allow it, the "must be able to exit the vehicle in under five seconds" rule would probably be the sticking point. I believe in Denmark, he just signed a waiver saying "it's down to me"!!!