Target Fixation

Bugsy

Discusing this on another forum, interesting stuff.

I've put this in Motorcycling but it applies equally to all types of vehicles.

Its simply the fact that, for those who don't know, that in panic situations,  we tend to go where we look. The term is believed to originate from WW2 fighter pilots flying into their target and is relevant in many situations of panic when riding or driving.

This is a classic example of target fixation of someone, clearly not a rider, but having a go on someones bike. (theres a bit of swearing at the end of the video).

Interestingly, it's the cause of many rear-end accidents in vehicles simply because the following drivers eyes get transfixed on the brake lights in front of him/her instead of looking for an escape route.

I am surprised that as a motorcyclist you have never heard of this before.

It is very important to realise this happens especially when off-roading or on enduros.

If you fixate or even look at something that worries you it pulls you in.

I never could lift my eyes as high/far as you should be when riding fast on unknown terrain and it means you can never ride so fast.

If you think about it there are parallels with the thought process. If you want something first you have to realise it, then visualize it, talk about it, then get it.

[quote user="Dog"]

I am surprised that as a motorcyclist you have never heard of this before.

[/quote]

Didn't mean to imply that Dog, I have been well aware of it for years. I just posted it for interest of anyone who wasn't aware of it.

I taught the hazards of it in my days as an IAM instructor. (seems a long time ago now.)

You can use it to you advantage when working with the vanishing points in beds driving to a receeding vanishing point and backing off to an approaching one.

Fear doesn't neccessarily come into it, it's a natural thing to do bit like the slight deviation in line when something catches your eye.