Niort Moto Expo Ride-out Sunday 22 March

Bugsy

Sounds just what I need and yes I would love to go but, as always, there’s a slight problem. For those who are not aware, three weeks ago whilst in Spain I had my wallet nicked containing, amongst other things, my English driving licence. May that unknown person rot in hell! Sorry, I digress.

Now without going into too much detail, we’ve all been there, I’ve eventually stopped running from pillar to post and got it sorted. My new French licence I’m told will be with me in about fifteen days. Here’s the problem: I am now the proud owner of a piece of paper which says that I am only permitted to drive a car until receipt of my new licence. The lady at the Prefecture was most emphatic about this choosing to tell me it in English. Prior to receiving this I felt confident with the paperwork I had that I could waffle my way out of an encounter with the police but now, although legal in my car I feel I am more vulnerable than before on a bike. I have an enlarged scanned copy of my original licence showing quite clearly of my entitlement to ride a motorcycle but obviously it is not legal. I would be breaking the letter of the law but not the spirit. My fate would lie at the mercy of the police if I were stopped. Having been a policeman myself I can testify to the fact that the parentage of most policemen is not questionable, I have always found the police here in France most accommodating, but there is always one.

Given my situation, I feel unable at the moment to commit myself to a yes but would nevertheless invite comment from others. If I were back in England, no problem but having been run ragged for the last few days I don’t think I could face anymore French bureaucracy.

Question: What would you do?

Ron, I asked the same question when I changed my licence and got the same answer. They will only show car entitlement (B) on the temporary form but you are OK to use your bike provided they (the prefecture) have proof of your entitlement to ride.

So get the dust off it and we'll see you at Super U car park in Sauze Vausse at 0930 on Sunday morning.

I've been contacted by a new guy Brian, who is coming along.

Gary.

Hello Gary

I've been out of circulation for a while, but I'd like to go; it's not far from my place and will get me out for a couple of hours (at least!).

If you're going via Sauze-Vaussais along the Niort road then Melle would be a good RV for me but I'll await your instructions!

Sid

Hi sid...........it's good to see you back.

Melle is good, say 10.00 on the first roundabout on the road from SV as you get into Melle.

Or somewhere better if you can think of an easier place to stop.

See you Sunday.

Hi Gary

That roundabout is "the column" ("la colonne", I think the garage is called). Just beyond the roundabout on the road into Melle town centre, only 20 metres or so, there are some lock-up garages on the left with room to pull off the road; I'll wait there.

Sid

Gary

Not having been to this event previously, what will we do with our gear? Do I need to fetch a rucksac or top box to pile the stuff into if it turns out warm? [8-)]

I know those Triumphs have panniers attached, now I know why. I thought there must be a reason! [;-)]

Sid

Generally lug it around with you, though some events have a secure place you can leave your helmet.  A rucksack could be a good idea.

Forcast is good.

I've not heard from Keith so I don't know if he's coming, or Dave, for that matter.

Funny you should say that, all the non BMW riders seem to be much older than I am and I ride a BMW. Must be down to the fact that none of the "oldies" in the picture have owned a BMW so they don't know what their missing! (Or maybe they can't afford one).

[quote user="Bob T"]Funny you should say that, all the non BMW riders seem to be much older than I am and I ride a BMW. Must be down to the fact that none of the "oldies" in the picture have owned a BMW so they don't know what their missing! (Or maybe they can't afford one).
[/quote]

Quite simply the "Oldies" in the picture aren't old enough yet and still reportedly do not have serious continence problems plenty of time yet for thinking about Break My Wallet  surgery..............Happy to help

[quote user="Bob T"]Funny you should say that, all the non BMW riders seem to be much older than I am and I ride a BMW.

Must be down to the fact that none of the "oldies" in the picture have

owned a BMW so they don't know what their missing! (Or maybe they can't

afford one).

[/quote]

Strange comment Bob and hardly funny, given that no one has any choice when it comes down to age.

Where everyone does have a choice though, is how they choose to enjoy their life, whatever age their body happens to be.

Still, you enjoy your youth, it doesn't last.