GPZ 500S

Keni

Having been out of biking for 20 years, I have the chance to grab a 19yr old GPZ 500S - I adored my old GPZ 550. The question I pose is, is it a worthwhile bike for me to bring over to France, with the intention of running around on it? Are parts/spares available and as I am in Haute Vienne are there any service agents for Kawasaki?

I am not familiar with this model and want to ease myself back into the field - getting a 900cc or thereabouts would be stupid I feel after this time and the old GPZ suited me well, but I know not this bike. It is from a dealer and I feel he is offering it at a fair price.

Any thoughts or knowledge, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Any 19 year old bike is not going to come with a European certificate of conformity, so it will cost to put it on French plates.

I used to ride a mates GPZ500S and it feels like a small lightweight bike to ride. Was great for zipping around town, but I found it a bit scary at speed. This was quite new at the time and I nearly crashed it when it went into a tank slapper at around 80 mph when it hit a bump in the road.

I don't think that you would keep it for too long before looking for something more comfortable.

After 19 years, you would need to check the steering head bearings and the swinging arm bearings as well as all the other items. Make sure the oil level is kept up to its mark. There is a tendency on this model for the swinging arm/ suspension linkage to seize up without any regular maintenance. A litttle clunky if the chain is not correctly adjusted and you might possibly want to check the condition of the cush-drive rubbers. They will probably need replacemnt by now, as opposed to using old bits of inner tube to pack them out. Light, manouverable, generally comfortable with the added protection of a small fairing, Pretty good on petrol consumption and reasonable performance all round. General maintenance is quite good, and if you like fiddling/ cleaning can be a very good presentable bike. Not a bad choice for getting back into motorcycling and if it's a good price, haggle a little more and go for it. Plenty of other bikes out there to get you back into biking, so consider the user friendly, as opposed to the rocket ships, Honda CB500, Kawasaki ER5, even an old XJ600 (but with similar age related problems). Try a google for further info. Good luck

Aitch

GP 500 is much the same engine as the ER5 and KLE500 common as muck reasonably lively but with chocolate cams. GPZ500 rides like a 1980s 250 ok. but not going to set the World alight. I would look to spend the money on something a bit later ie. Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda Hornet 600 or Yamaha Fazer 600 all competent bikes and a wee bit more involving than the workaday kwacker...........

Thank you all for all that information and help - i have this weeks copy of MCN and shall be perusing this and other ads for the right bike. The one thing I find at the moment is that second hand bikes are really thin on the ground in the Uk - unless you want an oldy or a superbike - all I am really looking for is a lighter weight bike in mid range - 750 plus I feel too much after all this time. Thanks again.