Brake Failure

Snorkel

I would welcome advice or comments on how you would proceed given the circumstances I now find myself in.

Yesterday I picked up my bike from a reputable main agent for Suzuki after having had a 12000k service and two new tyres fitted. Today I rode down to meet up with Bugbear and co. for a ride out. On route I heard a couple of ominous clonks and on approaching my rendezvous the rear brake failed. As I was nearly there I carried on only to be met by looks of horror from Gary and Brian who were signalling to me that something very obvious was wrong. On inspection it could be seen that the two bolts holding the rear brake calliper had gone and the whole assembly was floating in the breeze. Gary kindly secured everything safely and I returned home with great care.

Now if I were back in the UK, no problem, back to the garage and explain I could have been killed or injured. Lean on them for a refund and or some gesture to make up for my lost time, endangerment etc. That would’ve been easy. Now to be practical that’s not going to happen here in France. First barrier to face is the language, the second being the culture and legal status here. Knowledge is power, so before I sally forth I wonder if anyone has any knowledge or experience that could assist me.

As the fault is theirs I assume I can insist they send out a mechanic, or pick the bike up, it is dangerous to ride. I am not concerned that they will not correct the fault it’s more about their responsibility. My bike is out of action, I have been greatly inconvenienced and my life and others has been put at risk. I’m not greedy or grasping but when you get a bill in excess of five hundred euros I personally think it proper that there should be some kind of refund.

My questions then are what would you do? Do you think I am being unreasonable?

Am I looking at this from a UK perspective, not a French one?

The major thing is you are OK.

Remember the people at the bike shop probably don't speak english so they are also at a disadvantage. I prefer to use reasoned debate in these circumstances but sometimes people only understand a bloomin' good shouting at.

My brother and I hired bikes in Greece we did not understand each others language.

We gave the bikes a once over and they didn't seem to bad. We swapped one bike as the brakes were pants and set off. First bend my handle bar grip slipped off - potentially lethal on busy Greek roads - I was not amused and rode back into the shop and threw the grip at the man behind the counter he seemed to get the idea I was not happy.

The morons then got some insulating tape and started to wrap it on. I ripped it off and we barged into the workshop found some wire and lock wired it .

500 euros sounds a lot for two tyres and a 12,000k service - surely they don't do much at such a low mileage?

Can't you find some heavies that speak the lingo to back you up?

Good luck and drink to your good fortune it was certainly with you. the brakes were pants

Unclear as to whether it was the caliper bolts or the caliper and torque arm but either way the tyre changing is implicated.

Do not use the bike until every fastener has been checked I would suggest that you e-mail the piccie if it's inciminating enough (Can't see it as works firewall blocked it) to the dealer with a short note stating.

Luckily you haven't been killed

They are responsible for the ruination of a days enjoyment

You require them to come to you with all the parts required to render the bike safe. (If it was me this would definiteley include a new brake line as there's no knowing what stress the existing one has been under) This will neccessitate replacingthe brake fluid.

I would ask for a written apology and what did they intend to do to restore your confidence in them (Read a nice set of waterproofs or suchlike)

I would physically check the caliper, those clonks sound like the clonk of caliper roatating and hitting disc (Or swingarm!) this may have broken the surface of the paint and if this is the case and it's a suzuki the calipers will likely be made of pot metal and rot may set in.

Bon chance!

Snorkel

Don't get hung up on France/UK legal or culture comparisons....[;-)]

I'm sure the dealer will be mortified to hear of your experience and will take all the necessary steps to rectify matters.  I recommend you speak with the dealer principal, explain what happened, show him the photos and provide him with details of the 'witnesses'.

As per Big Mac, ask them to collect the bike, do the necessary, then return it to you.  They are also likely to offer you a 'geste commercial' to compensate for the worry and inconvenience - give them a prod if necessary.

Like any situation which has the potential for confrontation, a measured approach will usually produce results.  Forcing the dealer into a defensive position will only make things difficult for all parties.

I DO like SD's responses! So calm and reasoned; makes you take a step back, take a deep breath, and count to (at least) 10.

I couldn't agree more; don't go off at the deep end.

Good luck

Sid 

[quote user="sid"]

I DO like SD's responses! So calm and reasoned; makes you take a step back, take a deep breath, and count to (at least) 10.

I couldn't agree more; don't go off at the deep end.

Good luck

Sid 

[/quote]

As distinct from not going off on the high side.

Not so sure about the touchy feely way of going about things...there's a time and a place I guess.

I see this as nothing other than gross negligence which could have resulted in a serious injury or death. Supposing the ommission had resulted in the killing of an innocent pedestrian, would everyone be sitting down over coffee and cakes to discuss it?

Were it me the mechanic involved would be on the receiving end of both barrels worth of Celtic wrath I am afraid.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Well I have the concluding episode of my break failure saga, regrettably for some it will be seen as a bit of a damp squib, as for myself, I am satisfied with the result.

We arrived 0930 sharp, my wife and I, just as the doors opened and were seen by the mechanic who was responsible for the problem. It was explained to him the series of events leading up to the present and he was shown photographs of his negligence. To say that he physically became ashen would be an understatement. He then went off to speak to his supervisor and on his return explained how they would proceed. He would come to our house between 1200 to 1400 make an assessment, refit the calliper and an appointment would be made if necessary for any follow up work. This we agreed to.

At 1355 our mechanic arrived with new bolts and Loctite and in a space of fifteen minutes, job done, hands shaken, all over and done with to my satisfaction.

Now I’m sure many will disagree with my course of action considering me too lenient. I will briefly outline why I was so laid back about the whole affair.

The mechanic was visibly shaken by what he had done. He will never do the same thing again, of that I am sure.

Having spoken to a couple of French neighbours the general consensus was that as the bill had been paid some sort of refund was unlikely. To push the matter further would only have caused more distress to the mechanic. In my lifetime I have made mistakes and there but for the grace of god go I. If the dagger is in, what pleasure would I have in twisting it further.

My bike is back on the road, the matter was dealt with promptly and I can live with a couple of tiny scratches. In the end, as people, we are what we are. In my assessment the mechanic was contrite, lesson learned, and I feel that Anglo French relations have not been damaged.

I thank you all for your comments and hope that my next post will be on a lighter note.

At least the bike is fixed - but after an episode like that its easy to distrust the bike.

It may be time to buy a torque wrench and check your bike over yourself.

You were always unlikely to get any monetary recompense - surely when you picked the bike up they made you sign that the bike was in a satisfactory condition and that you were happy with the tyres and work done.

One of my stepsons had a total front brake failure the first lap of an enduro, he had taken his pads out to 'clean' them. They both fell out and failing to stop he ran over my brother and his bike who was not terribly happy.  It was amusing watching him scrambling around in the mud as bikes blasted passed looking for his pads. Strangly enough he did find them and managed to finish.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

..... Not so sure about the touchy feely way of going about things...there's a time and a place I guess.

[/quote]

But at least going about it this way gives you scope to get progressively more forceful if it doesn't work out, whereas if you start out with an aggressive approach you can hardly climbdown without losing face, and you'll always be regarded as a difficult customer.... even if you are in the right.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, and Ron has taken a philosophical view of the result, which is nice.

Sid

I am philosophically looking at a caliper hanging of a flexi pipe and can assure you I would rather see a dealer ashen with eroded profit after he has replaced it that a mechanic who has possibly made a genuine  mistake. The dealer is responsible for the actions of his employees and has got away scot free.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

I am philosophically looking at a caliper hanging of a flexi pipe and can assure you I would rather see a dealer ashen with eroded profit after he has replaced it that a mechanic who has possibly made a genuine  mistake. The dealer is responsible for the actions of his employees and has got away scot free.

[/quote]

Obviously from your statement, you and no doubt others think that I am wrong in taking the approach I have. This I can accept: as I said before we are all different people with differing views and priorities.

I would however like to restate the service I received. After registering my grievance the fault was rectified to my satisfaction at my home address in just four and a half-hours. Not bad I thought. I checked the hose and calliper myself and there was no damage with the exception of some scratches, which will never be visible. The scratches on the wheel, which they offered to repair, were tiny. I fixed these last night. You’d never find them even if you looked.

If out of sheer bloody mindedness I had asked for further work to be done, I would only have been shooting myself in the foot. More trips to Poitiers, more time with the bike off the road and for what? If it was out of principle, I’m afraid that one goes past me.

When decisions are made they are made at the time with many variables to consider. To enter into all facets of a situation would be both timely and boring. I can assure you that altruism was not my primary thought when dealing with this problem, it was sheer practical expediency. I am not sure quite the level or your language skills or the length of time you spend in France, but from my experience some things are just worth avoiding. Standing next to one’s wife while she does the talking is a scenario best avoided. To be honest I would actually pay money to avoid it.

I stand by my decision and think that sometimes less is more.

The only absolute here was that the mechanic learnt his lesson. He had to face me and make good his mistake. Lesson learned.

I’m sorry I missed my day out and would rather not have been put in danger but, hey ho, c’est la vie.

[quote user="Snorkel"]

I’m sorry I missed my day out and would rather not have been put in danger but, hey ho, c’est la vie.[/quote]

You could never be compensated for the potential danger that the mechanic put you in by his carelessness, however, just so nice to see someone approach something without starting with the 'angry and threatening' carry on we see far too much these days.

There is so much of this 'take him to court' or 'string him up' attitude all over the internet very few people seem to be able to make a reasoned balanced response to problems that occur or weigh up what is a satisfactory outcome.

Great to see a bit of c'est la vie - well done that man

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

It's not my bike and not my business therefore my comment is after the fact and to an extent superfluous.

I trust my brake lines, I fitted them and they haven't been used as caliper lanyards.

[/quote]I thank you for your comments.  Let's be honest, if everyone agreed with everyone else wouldn't life be boring.