The trouble with 3-wheelers . . . .

just john

[quote user="Richard51"]   but my real reason for posting is that I'm intrigued by the second photo in the opening post. I'm convinced that it's at the crossroads before dropping down into the village/town of Thenon. OH disagrees. John, could you put us out of my misery? Richard. [/quote]

I'm afraid the misery is not over for you Richard, it is not Thenon; In fact I'm not sure where it is, except that we were on our way to Le mans, got fed up with the motorway and got off at junc 27 and followed hordes of bikes up through Chateau du Loir and that's where I think it is.

[quote user="nectarine"]we've got Blackjacks - an Avion (2cv engine) and a Zero (Moto Guzzi engine). Can't remember how to post a photo so look at www.blackjackzero.com. Both motorcyclists as well but the Blackjacks are just ... well a little more comfortable when you're getting on in years![/quote]

The benefit of a Blackjack or Lomax FWD or Grinnall RWD is that it has two wheels at the front, stability, braking, cornering is pretty much car like, Trikes just must be challenging in this respect. Even so I witnessed a Grinnall three wheeler flip while cornering at Camp corner, Castle Corner, admittedly pushing it, but I've never witnessed a four wheeler flip, ( lots of fishtailing, ploughing and bank stuffing though[:)]).

J.J I couldn’t agree more with you.

The biggest problem with most three wheelers is the fact that the layout is completely wrong. It would be far more stable if the single wheel was at the rear of the machine and not at the front.

As you saw Mr G. Clarkson demonstrate on Top Gear with the Reliant Regal Roll Over, because that is all they ever did if you went around a corner too quickly. But then again, if the layout was as the Morgan is or even as the Owen Greenwood Special, which was originally designed by Mr F Hanks, then that, lay out is well proven at being by far more stable.

If you look at a modern road race outfit the sidecar wheel is well forward of the rear wheel thus increasing the stability, and meaning less work for the passenger.

• 3 months later...