On line retailers in France

Lensman

Hi

I am trying to find an on line retailer to purchase a Sigma lens.

The lens I want is a 70-200 mm f2.8  .

I ordered it from a company called Digibaa some weeks ago and when I queried the delivery I was told they did not know when.

I checked with Sigma France and they say there is no shortage of this lens. I told Digibaa and they still say they cannot deliver. I assume they are trying to find some sort of 'grey' import to sell on and I intend to cancel the order, but before I do I need another source.

Any help please.

Thanks.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your input.

I have had trouble with Pixmania before and gave up. It may be the only option left and I may have to try again.

E Bay is difficult because I can't get a UK account while in France.

Ray, I have several Nikon lenses from olf film cameras, but find they are just not sharp with the Fuji S3. I have a Sigma 17-70 mm which is terrific at all apertures and I think the Sigma Zoom will be as good especially wide open.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Chas.

Hi Lensman

I agree with you that France just does not have the same level of online retailers as the UK. The main photo dealers in France are both franchise operations Phox and Camara (very expensive).

With regards to your specific query try a company called BK Photo (www.bkphoto.fr). I'm not sure whether it is the standard 70-200 that you're looking for or the macro version. Anyway their prices are as follows:

70-200 EX DG  EUR799 (I think that this is probably an older model now superceded by the macro version?)

70-200 EX DG Macro  EUR929

The best price that I can see for the macro version in the UK is GBP680, so this price compares very favourably.

The best magazine to get adverts of online traders is probably "Chasseur d'Images" - it was from this month's magazine that I took the prices above. It is also quite a good read as is its sister magazine !