Wild boar attacks

audio

A neighbour told me that there is a small family of sanglier (wild boar) around and that they recently entered his grounds and killed two of his dogs. Knowing that these animals can be pretty dangerous gives me cause for concern as Mrs A normally walks our dog in that area every day.

I don’t suppose the local plod would want to help but has anyone experience of this?

There are lots of wildboar where we live and they regularly come close to our house.

We occasionaly meet them while walking in the woods but on the whole they are very secretive and far more interested in getting away from humans and dogs.

Perhaps your neighbours dogs attack the boar in which case you can understand the boar defending themselves.

I wouldn't worry about them - just keep your dog on a leed.

Thanks for your comments. Young probably were involved and naturally the parents will protect but in the case I mentioned, the boar entered the owner’s garden and the dogs died trying to protect their master’s property.

I was wondering what the law was in dealing with them if they became a menace on ones property. No good asking my local maire, she is always on a ‘day off’ when I ask.

Incidentally, walking my dog on a lead, impossible! He needs to and can run a whole lot faster than me.

I might be wrong, but I THINK from a legal point of view wild boars don't belong to anyone so you can't sue anyone if they do some harm.

I once had one run into the side of the van I was driving, and insurance didn't cover the damage.

It might be different if the Chasse cause the animal to come onto your land, or attack you in the woods.

[quote user="audio"]Thanks for your comments. Young probably were involved and naturally the parents will protect but in the case I mentioned, the boar entered the owner’s garden and the dogs died trying to protect their master’s property. I was wondering what the law was in dealing with them if they became a menace on ones property. No good asking my local maire, she is always on a ‘day off’ when I ask. Incidentally, walking my dog on a lead, impossible! He needs to and can run a whole lot faster than me.[/quote]

If you don't keep your dog on a leash or control the dog can you blame the wild boar from protecting its own?

What sort of dog do you keep? Most dogs will leg it if a boar approaches.

I've lived in the Haute Savoie countryside for 15 years with a dog and never seen a wild boar, although there are plenty of signs of their presence (turf turned over to find roots). The most dangerous thing about them are the hunters - their technique is to stand in a large circle around scrubby undergrowth, send the dogs in, and then fire into the centre at anything that moves. You don't see many old hunters!