New Build

Chippiepat

HI All,

I bought an old barn some years back that has now been demolished & I have permission to rebuild, in the same footprint,a 2bed house which I shall be building myself.Searching the archives for relevent information It seems that the build must be covered by a "dommage ouvrage" policy incase I come to sell the property in the future.Is this the same as an artisane's deccinal insurance? if so does anyone know how I go about obtaining said policy.Many thanks in advance,

Pat.

Thanks for the link, looks interesting.I Can't believe it could be that difficult to self build,or nobody would bother.Surely some people in France build thier own without having to pay fortunes for insurance, & if it's anything like the NHBC in U.K. then it's not worth much anyway.

Cheers.

I have seen a figure of around 5000 people a year building their own homes in France. I would also look around for an architect prepared to advise - many are willing to help self-builders all along the way to completion. They can often help you make best use of an 'awkward' or atypical site, that you may be able to buy cheaply. P-D de R.

There are self build associations in France, membership gives you access to nationwide negotiated deals on materials, for example the price for timber framing sections and OSB is unbelievable,  even to French artisans, to an English builder it would be an ok price if you get my drift.

They also have very good deals on the insurances that you are inquiring after including a very usefull assurance benevoles which might just be enough to discourage the URSAAF should you have the misfortune to be côntrole'd.

Try searching google.fr for Les Castors.

including a very usefull assurance benevoles which might just be enough to discourage the URSAAF should you have the misfortune to be côntrole'd.

? could you explain please?, what would URSAAF have to do with it & what do you mean by controlled.By the way I am a builder in the U.K. drew & submitted my own plans & just thought I could get on with it, I'm just trying to ease any problems I may have when it eventually comes to selling,which I may have to do in next 5-6 years.

Any building site with non-local workers is quite likely to come to the attention of the authorities.

URSAAF can then pay  a visit to ensure that all workers are registered for social security, accident insurance etc.

You can work on your own property, but anyone outside the immediate family circle is liable to be investigated. Belonging to a self-build association may help with these matters.