Wood furniture

LizzyM

I have a quantity of lovely old oak planks from a barn and would like to make some simple furniture like bedside tables and coffee tables.  Can anyone suggest a good book for me to order.  Thanks

Lizzy, perhaps you could approach your projects from a different viewpoint. If you haven't already got in mind what it is you want to do you can do the research in magazines or on the net for ideas. Making furniture is obviously dependant on joining wood together, it's the joints that are important, I would suggest you find a few books on joints and take it from there. Carpentry isn't dissimilar to creating a meal or making music, once you understand the basic ingredients of food or notes of music you can put them to use in a variety of ways to suit your own interpretation of what it is you want to achieve...the same goes for creating furniture, understand some basic joints and you can use them in a variety of ways on different projects. Good luck.

Hi Chris, good to hear from you. Magazines are a good idea.

Lizzy - are you in the UK? If so, you could do worse than finding a few copies of British Woodworking magazine - unlike some of the others it is aimed at an amateur market. Also, if you are in the UK and have Sky, (or are naughty and have Sky in France) have a look for woodworking programmes on Channel 250.

Hi Chris, me too, good to hear from you.. That sounds quite a deep idea, but true. I have never thought of it like that before.

Lizzy, you can also get the French DIY mags from most of the bricos if you are here in France. They do the back copies in bundles of usually about 4 for the price of one. Even if your French is not too good you can get a load of info from them and it will help your French to boot!![8-|]