Dutch Dovetails

Dick Smith

I've had that saw for about 13 years now Chris and as you say it is a godsend!! I always use 1/4 inch 6 skip blades from Axminster and they are good. The idea is that they cut down to a 3/4 inch radius and will handle 8 inch thick oak. What more could I as?

You keep yer mits orf me meds and me nurse [:P][Www]!!

I had never realised that you could cut 1/2 a hole until I got the forstner bits. Now even that is easy..

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I've had that saw for about 13 years now Chris and as you say it is a godsend!! I always use 1/4 inch 6 skip blades from Axminster and they are good. The idea is that they cut down to a 3/4 inch radius and will handle 8 inch thick oak. What more could I as? The only modification I have made was to fit a spot light that comes on when you hit the go button. It's held in place with a CB ariel 'mag mount'. Nice and easy and very effective [8-|]

You keep yer mits orf me meds and me nurse [:P][Www]!!

I had never realised that you could cut 1/2 a hole until I got the forstner bits. Now even that is easy..

[/quote]

Jon - I was using Forstner bits today (making a screwdriver rack - I'm sick of rooting about in a drawer full of screwdrivers, pliers and the occasional Stanley knife blade) and it did occur to me that they are significantly harder work than a similar sized drill (I was using 12mm). But when you need them, they are the biz. My bandsaw is a cheapo Perform, and the blade wanders all over the place. Do you think that a better quality blade will help much, or should I just be thinking of a replacement saw?

Chris- I've had a Tormek for about a year now, fantastic, lots of very sharp chisels and planes. They are very well worth the money. But I'm not convinced by the WoodRat. I don't want to spend much time in the workshop wearing ear defenders in the company of a screaming router - I will accept the gentle rumble of a pillar drill or the whirr of the bandsaw, but even Julie's Hegner winds me up these days! And as you say it seems to need a workshop all to itself and a degree to understand it.

3 hours in the workshop today - the first 1½ tidying and cleaning up! Very satisfying. And I've got the day off tomorrow.

I still think bandsaws are dangerous as hell, gimme a chainsaw any day...8 inches JJ? That's a lorra depth! Ear defenders with ipod music piped inside is an almost surreal experience, with the chainsaws it's like you know there's a screaming machine in your hands but it doesn't quite feel attached to them...it's still bizarre after hundreds & thousands of hours with the damned things. The technique works for me, the music leads the thoughts away from from the machine and allows more concentration on the piece itself.

On another subject, my little Sis gave me a pile of Living Etc & Elle Decoration mags, it's eye opening to see what people are charging for uncomplicated work. A 'designer' four poster bed for example, eight lengths of Oak, sixteen joints and that'll be two and a half grand please sir!

A capstan table. Lord Armstrong has one at Cragside, his bungallow up there in Norfumbria. I actually got the guy looking after the dining room to show me how it worked and he also let me climb under it and have a shooftie. It was very late in the day and there was no other grockles about. I felt very privaledged (spelling??). A wonderful bit of work and I would LOVE to make one!!

I'l bet that you wouldn't get any change from £500 for the one in you link Dick? [Www]

The table at Cragside expands from 6 to 18 people in 2 stages, 12 in the second stage. The filler bits have to be placed in as it would be nigh on impossible to do more than the one stage shown in your link Dick, but they are a perfect fit and really wonderful. I have tried to find a pikky of it, but no luck, domage!!

As far as I can remember there are no metal parts, just wooden...

Yup, know that JJ, it's reminiscent of blokes who had spent so long dancing with the Devil and who were more hooked on adrenaline than Ozzie was on class A substances that they seemed inextricably drawn to forcing the hand of fate.

I wonder how much of that table was made by hand? Or was it just a case of programming big machines?