Plane shoe guard.

Jonzjob

I have been using a bit of corrigated cardboard to protect the shoe and blade of my planes, held in place in a elakky band. Sophisticated or what!!

I had an idea after seeing the rare earth magnets in Axminsters catalog and came up with this idea. It's probably been done before, but this is my way

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DSC07958.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DSC07959.jpg[/IMG]

All done with hardboard, melamine faced because that's what I had handy. The magnets are just held by an interference fit and a small grove is cut across the bed where the blade rests.

Really easy, but very effective and yoiu have to pull quite hard to remove the guard...

Great idea JJ - think you'd better copyright it before Axminster or some other big wheel tries to nick it. I will make some for my planes, if you don't mind, I'm always aware of damaging the faces of my planes. They aren't cheap these days! 

Be my guest Postie [:D] !

I would think that it's already been thought of dozens of times before? I got 10 of the smallest of the magnets and keep the remainder on a metal door. They are a real brugger to get off if I need them too [:-))]! Talk about strong!!! http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19790&name=magnets&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0 these are they.

As a matter of interest I would not know where to start to copyright anything???

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

As a matter of interest I would not know where to start to copyright anything???

[/quote]

Start with very deep pockets!   It's a long and expensive process for your average chap in the street, well the copyright thing itself is not to bad but defending your patent from the circling wolves is a bit of a brugger apparently.  Just read up on what Mr Dyson went through or the chap that invented the Workmate

Can I have a fancy shoe guard rather than a plain one ?  [;-)]

Oh dear Pierre, next time you go abroad on holiday I hope that you get on a plane and not a plain [:-))] ? Clair, is it possible to get some English lessons via the forum for Pierre please [6][6]?

But aside from that you can one as fancy as you care to be prepaired to make [:D] !

I have got deep pockets, but as far as things like that are concerned I have short arms too [8-|]. Beer is a different proposition though [B][B] !!

I just follow the advice of both my father and grandfather (who were carpenters) - "planes should be stood and stored on their side"

I can still hear the words ringing in my "boxed" ears now.

The secondary reason was to prevent rust forming from capilliary moisture between the bed and the surface underneath, this could still occur using one of the shoes shown above. Any rust from ambient moisture can be seen when the tool is stood on its side.

Do you think that we are getting a tad obsessive about our planes? [6]

I have an excuse as they are the only items of (to me priceless) value left to me by my predecesors, if I ever have a son he will be calling childline if I find that he has left one on its base!

You could always Danish oil the inner surface JR? Then it would save the possibility of the blade getting knocked in a crowded cupboard when it is stood on it's side?

I am lucky here because there is very little relative humidity so things don't rust easily, unless you try really hard [:D]

Jus as a matter of interest I never stand a plane down during use unless it is on it's side. If you notice in the 1st photo the toe of the smaller plane is stood on the end of it's guard to keep the blade clear of the worktop. This was not accidental [8-|][geek][:D] !!

Edit :- Just thhought. The magnets are placed in the base so as to be N/S and S/N so as to create a magnetic field that stops rust formation and is in the format of Feng Shui [:D] (well prove it ain't?)

• 3 weeks later...
I always lay my planes on their sides - except for when I forget...

That's what we were told to do at school, the reason being that the bench might take the edge off the cutter.

I have made/converted boxes for my planes, and they are cocooned inside, with a few desiccant gel bags. Or possibly stuck on a shelf. Or, at the moment, on the dining room table...

As for patenting it before Axminster - forget it, they already make one! See here.  Sorry!