Varnish problems

JohnRoss

Trying to improve the look of some woodwork indoors and have had some problems. The wood, possibly pine, has been treated at some time in the past with either a light yellow stain of some sort or a thin non-glossy varnish. It was well cleaned and then I painted it over with a Lasure Bois Pin Scandinave 3V3 which seemed to dry ok but three days later herself decided it was too yellow and wanted it darker and less shiny. I painted over the lasure with a thinned coat of Vernis Ciré Tons Bois Chêne Rustique 3V3. On viewing the results it was decided that the appearance had not been improved so it was washed over with white spirit which got the Vernis off ok but also some of the lasure came off as well. Have now rubbed it back to the base wood so will start again!

My questions are for future reference: Can you paint vernis on top of lasure or does one react with the other? What is the difference between these two anyway?

Why did some of the sub coat of lasure come off as well, was it just too new?

Could the original finish on the wood have something to do with this? ......................................JR 

A varnish seals the surface, whereas a lasure is more like a stain allowing the wood contact with the air. I have been told frequently that there is no equivalent to a lasure in the UK. A lasure will penetrate into the immediate surface of the wood and give protection from funguses and insects. The idea of putting Varnish on a recently applied Lasure is novel.[:)]

Ok well I will re-apply the lasure. Maybe you cannot put varnish on top of lasure. Do you know if you can overcoat a tinted lasure with a satin clear lasure as the tinted one I have tends to dry patchy, i.e. some parts glossy and some parts mat?..........JR 

Ok well on smooth wood it looks a bit like a satin finish varnish but I don't know if it is as hard wearing, i.e. could you walk on wood treated with lasure or would it wear off quickly. I suppose there is one way to find out! I painted some wooden outside shutters with it a couple of years ago and it has stayed on ok. On the tin it does say you can overcoat with clear lasure so I guess I have answered one of my own questions.............................JR

PS This site http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasure suggests it may become floury after a time so maybe it is not as hard wearing as varnish. Elsewhere I have also found the statement that varnish should be stripped before re-coating but lasure need not be.