Pain de Campagne - Homemade

Winegum

Has anyone tried making their own Campagne bread? I'm trying my first batch just for fun. I realise it's far easier to buy it from the Boulangerie but I like a challenge! The recipe I found entails starting a small ammount of dough on the first day, adding to it on day two and completeing the job on day three. Any tips would be appreciated.   (apologies folks - wrong category for this question, I've now put it in the food section!)

WG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, er, Winegum,

Something went wrong with my breadmaking machine one day , maybe we had a powercut I don't remember. Rather than waste the dough which was by this time well developed, I wapped it onto a pizza tin and threw it carelessly into the oven which was on at the time. My reputation as a baker of French ' Pain de compagne ' has never looked back ! A little egg yoke and milk brushed on gives a heightened colour for a change and upping the salt content makes it more ' authentic ' . But then you'd hardly call me an expert would You !

Pete

The advantage of your painstaking approach is that among other things the dough flavour improves with time.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I used off the shelf Campagne flour. I wasn't terribly impressed with the end result because it wasn't the same texture as the bought Campagne bread, but my hubby thought it was great, so I'll probably make it again. It was fun making it and really not much trouble.

WG

We use Lidls mix in the bread maker but only on the dough setting.Then we leave to prove/rise in the lightly greased bread tin-  then in,t oven for 30 mins   -----DELECTO !!     Maude

Real bread, not fluff in a crust which keeps 5 minutes!