Watch your change.

Gastines

It now seems that the Christmas Spirit might be losing a bit of it's charm. When out shopping ,if you are paying with cash, check what notes your paying with and what change your getting. Once in Rennes in a bun shop and twice in St.Malo, a cheap jewellery outlet and a Tabac, we have been short changed and when this has been pointed out the staff member has handed over the 5 or 10 euro note without any fuss!!! Not only here ,it also happened TWICE on a recent trip to UK.

Regards.

But if it is in the UK we know it is done to cheat you, whereas in France it must be a genuine mistake because we all know there is no crime here. And nice idea, Wooly one, but not all of us can count in French.

(oops, sorry, wrong forum) [:D]

Check your receipts too. Not crime but in genuine errors  I have been over charged by about E10 this week in three separate incidents.  So always check your till receipts.  Twice in Lidls and once in Geant.  Last week in Leclerc too - Geants and Leclerc have trouble passing through their special offers and Lidls just put everything through twice because they have to stress you out by doing it so quickly. It strange that Lidls have stopped getting you to sign your receipts suddenly,  They were going through a phase of getting id with your carte bancaire, don't know what that was about. And what use it would have been to them anyhow?

[quote user="woolybanana"]And how naive of me to assume that everyone could count in French.[6][/quote]

I can't count too well in English either!  It's not the numbers, know those in both languages (and a couple of other languages besides), but numerarcy has never been what you might call my forte.

When I was in my 30s, I got so frustrated that I did an O level maths course and then I did start to become a bit more numerate.  However, none of it comes naturally to me and I still have to force myself to count my change.

Actually, I feel a little ashamed of this terrible deficit in my general knowledge and I tend to just slip the money into my purse so as not to embarrass myself[:$]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]And how naive of me to assume that everyone could count in French.[6][/quote]

I can't count too well in English either!  ... [/quote]

Count in your own Mothertongue and don't be ashamed of it....  then you are sure that you have not been short changed or short changing some one. I do it all the time. Shopkeepers here are bemused that all these years on, I haven't mastered their ein, dei, tre, pedwar, pwmp, chwer, saith... drat! can't remember what come next and by then I sure would have been diddle out of a penny or two so when the money falls on the counter it's un, deux, trois etc... whether they like it or not!    na[:P]

I do the same thing at work. Before meetings I have to rehearse how to say BIG numbers in English. Very often it comes out in French and the boss is sort of [Www] and I know that no one understood the figures... What do they care the balance sheet is correct anyhow [:D]