Buy Grand Piano - France or UK?

Aidie

When I retire to France, I would like to buy a Grand piano, maybe Yamaha C or Kemble, something like that in price range 15-20,00 GBP.

Would it be better to buy this in UK? In which case:

1. Would stores deliver to France (I think I've seen at least one that will on my browsing, but forgotten where)?

2. Would warranty be valid, and what about if something goes wrong, repairs etc.?

Or better to buy in France? In which case:

1. How are piano prices in Euros compared to UK pounds?

2. Where are the popular piano stores in Brittany or close area? (can't find anything on the internet)

Have a look on ebay.fr, there are loads of pianos and you can get an idea of price from there.

You can narrow your search down to Brittany, and there may be stores advertising too.

I bought a Yamaha upright off ebay from someone in Bordeaux. Looked at several others first ie went to visit.

The big expense is transport - we managed to get a friend to do it, after getting exorbitant estimates from elsewhere.

I would say that for a "good" piano France is slightly cheaper than UK. But you see lots of overpriced rubbish in the brocantes.

ps Just had  look on ebay.fr and some deliver free.

[quote user="Patf"]Have a look on ebay.fr, there are loads of pianos and you can get an idea of price from there.

You can narrow your search down to Brittany, and there may be stores advertising too.

I bought a Yamaha upright off ebay from someone in Bordeaux. Looked at several others first ie went to visit.

The big expense is transport - we managed to get a friend to do it, after getting exorbitant estimates from elsewhere.

I would say that for a "good" piano France is slightly cheaper than UK. But you see lots of overpriced rubbish in the brocantes.

ps Just had  look on ebay.fr and some deliver free.

[/quote]

Thanks patf, but I get nervous buying anything over 20 pounds on ebay. The worry of all ebay things that go wrong would probably see me to an early meeting with the my Maker if I spent 20,000 Euros in those shark-infested waters.

I would feel safer buying new from a store with sound insurance and warranty. I managed to find some French store sites and prices with UK are pretty much the same.  The only thing (and a BIG thing) is that the France stores I've looked at only seem to offer a paltry 2-year warranty, whereas UK seems to be 5-year, even for the same (i.e. Yamaha C series) models.

I did go and try the piano before I bought it. I'd already been to try 4 others - you can do this on ebay with expensive items.

Then went to collect it personally and paid the money.

But agree you would get better guarantee and aftercare from a store.

Have you had a quote for the cost of transporting a grand piano to France from the UK?

The piano I bought still gives much pleasure, and I've had it tuned a few times. But last winter had some internal damage caused by a mouse! My piano tuner did the repairs to felts and cordes, not covered by insurance.

So look out for that if you're in the country.

I'm curious. I play the piano most days.

For some time, I have wanted a grand piano but space prohibits.  However, at an auction house in the UK (when I am back), they always have one or two grand pianos that they can barely give away.  Why does the second hand value plummet?   Is it the sound quality?