Printer Help

Quillan

I want to buy a cheap and cheerful printer just to print off invoices for guests. I was really looking for something like you used t get from Canon, a fw sheets of paper standing vertically at the back which pop out the bottom. The printer used to stand vertically so the 'foot print' was like 11" x 3". You see I have a very small desk so I want a very small printer, any ideas?

I did look at dot matrix printers, 9 pin would have done till I saw the price. Years ago they used to be dirt cheap, we used to recommend them for printing labels because if the platten got worn out you just binned the printer and bought another, not these days, far to expensive compared to other printers.

The trouble with cheap inkjet printers is the cost of the ink, that is where the manufacturers make their money. They are making it harder and harder to use non-OEM cartridges (often they are chipped so as not to 'recognise' refills, remanufactured etc and it can be a faff if not impossible to get them to work) and OEM cartridges cost a fortune and seem to last about 10 mins.

I've been using 3rd party cartridges for years and never had a problem. How about a Canon printer with cheap cartridges........

http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Peripheriques-Reseaux-wifi/Imprimantes-et-scanners/Imprimante-Jet-d-encre/CANON/4888664-Multifonction-jet-d-encre-4-en-1-couleur-PIXMA-MX395.htm

http://www.amazon.fr/Cartouches-compatible-imprimantes-PGI-525BK-Silvertrade/dp/B004WBAPH6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369063279&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=PIXMA+MX395+Cartouche

Also have a look in supermarkets for special offers then go on Amazon or wherever to find out if you can buy the cheap copies. I bought an Epson printer for under 50€ and 4 sets of chipped cartridges cost 13€.

My old Epson died, so I hit Auchan for a replacement....ended up with another Epson after comparing the cartridge prices. Its a XP-202 and I think it was about 50 or 60 euros.

My only gripe is that is is a tad bigger than the old one, as it is a scanner and copier too. Hard to find just a basic printer these days.

Obviously, the cartridges I had for the old one do not fit the new one, so are useless but its no big deal as I buy them via Ebay UK direct from Hong Kong for a tiny fraction of the price I could get them here.