Shooting/Hunting

Thedunnes

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a shotgun permit for visiting brits. The scenario is that my neighbour runs a shoot and as the cost of a days shooting is considerably cheaper than in the UK I would like to invite some friends down for some shooting. Organising guns locally is not a problem and any visitors would be holders of UK permits.

I have not yet applied for myself as I am the UK at the moment but would not imaging that it would be hard to get as permit as I have a small farm.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Stephen

If you look on the second page of the SW France site you will see a topic "Shooting" from jlowe. The letter from Christie, no. 4 might answer your question.There are strict rules about who can shoot what and where which you need to check on.

Stephen, there is possibility to obtain a 9 day guest permit from the local department for hunting and shooting but you have to nominate the dates and people concerned, my original shotgun/firearms certificate helped me to get the guns here but had to return the permit to the uk to the police.
contary to what a lot of people say the exam is hard for us who do not speak the language that well, by the time you have thought of the name of the game in english, translated to french and said it, the said game has migrated !
I shoot clays here, duck and work my dogs on pheasant for the local shoot, however, be aware even clay shooting has a season !

invite the locals round whilst they are shooting even for a coffee and biscuits and discuss, contary to some comments not all hunters are drunk ! it is amazing how many french people are pro-hunting.

I hunt stag on horseback twice a week during the season.
good luck, regards Pauline.