Permis de chasser

Jlo

I have nearly got my head around the French system, but can someone give me the definitive answer.I am know studying for my permis and if the French holds up I hope to pass.Can I legally keep a shotgun in France before obtaining a permis de chasser?Is it just a case of notifying the local gendarmarie.Is wanting to shoot ball trap before passing the exam a sufficent reason to own a shot gun in France.Does this all depend on different dept.My neighbour does not hunt but keeps a small arsenal above his fireplace,which contradicts what other hunters have told me.

You should have either a permis de chasse or the shooting-at-targets equivalent
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/ARBO/1414-NXJUS500.html
gives details of the legislation.
There are exceptions for old guns etc. and there are also a lot in circulation that are undeclared.

We have an heirloom 12bore which could be fired if it was made safer and when I went to the gendarmerie nine years ago to declare it, I was sent packing and told only automatics,hunting rifles and pump actions were their interest and I had no worries. This is a lot different to the UK where it was chained and locked, with a yearly police visit and a permit all the time. I have never heard of any change of policy since on this and when you realise how many thousands of these are in existance and being used here (many illegally with no chasse connections) it is quite frightening.

Hi Jongleuse here

We have a friend who has guns. He studied and sat the various French exams and practicals and to the delight of his village (and everyone else) he got his Permis de Chasse. I think if you enquire at your Mairie they will let you know if you need to do anything as they are usually involved in all these things.

Regards
Jongleuse