Bastille Day

lil

[quote]Can anyone tell me what is going on on Bastille day in the Piegut/ Marval/ St Mathieu area? thanks Lil[/quote]

There will most probably be a fête de village on a theme or other with activities for all age groups. On the village/town place publique some foire with dodgems and things, possibly a buvette with a street party and in the evening a feu d'artifice!

Unfortunately some municipalities will cancel their fireworks as they don't want to create too much havoc for their firemen who are already overstretch with forest fires in this tinder dry condition of a weather.

Depends where you live. When you do your shopping, you should see posters in the shops for that day. Ask the boulangère, the charcutier, the facteur... Also at the Mairie on the wall, there is a public notice board and it may have some kind of info on this. Have a good look and also a good ear for febrile gossip on activities for the day. If not in the village/town surely in the next village/town.

One sure thing EVERYTHING is shut that day. You will have some independant commerces open until lunchtime but La Poste, EDF, ALL public services offices are closed.

Have a nice day with your family, friends and neighbours! I sure wish I was in France that day and not stuck in Blighty!!

• 2 weeks later...
There are lots of local things on for Bastille day. The biggest in the St Mathieu area is the Fete du Lac on Saturday and Sunday. Not exactly Bastille day I know but well worth a visit. Music, food and big Firework display Saturday night.