The great Jack Nicklaus

Miki

Not a dry eye today as the one and only Jack Nicklaus strode down the last at the home of Golf, St Andrews.

Jack retired from competetive golf today, unfortunately missing the cut and so this will sadly be the last time he will stride majestically down one of The Open fairways. As a young man, I would go to Wentworth (and Sunningdale)to caddy at the weekends. I will never forget the day that Dick the caddy master at Wentworth in those days, gave me the bag for someone and told me I had to get down to the first on the West as a fourball was waiting for a caddy who hadn't arrived, so I had to get down there smartish. When I got to the tee, I could see Jimmy Dickinson (then the great mans long serving caddy) and asked Jimmy (who was a caddy also at Wentworth for many a year)who he had the bag for "Jack Nicklaus" he said. That day I watched golf being played that I never saw again until I had the privelege to walk with Seve Ballesteros around the same track on a sponsors day at Wentworth.

He proved again to me some years later what a great and caring man he was, when with a couple of friends we went down to St Georges at Sandwich for a practice day to get his and as many other autographs we could get to auction on behalf of raising some money for a young friend who was dying with cancer. When told to him by Jimmy Dickinson why we were asking for autographs, he simply took the books and programmes we were getting signed and along with Lee Trevino hassled all and sundry not just to sign autographs but to give us something else to auction for our friend.

He will be missed teribly by all golfing aficionados. Thanks a million for all the great memories Jack, far too many to recall even a fraction of the marvellous moments you have been involved with.

We shan't see his like for a very long time, if ever. I even encouraged my son (non golfer) to watch, as it was the end of an era.

What suprised me was the state of his playing partner, and long time adversary, Tom Watson,

he was in one hell of a state. It's always sad when a great sportsman comes to the end of the road.