requirements for guns

springer

Hi,

I have a place in Normandy and I am hoping to take over a shotgun and a .22 air riffle.

I will be leaving these there for when I'm over, what are the requirements I need to achieve this.

Can anybody help me out? I will only be using them on my own land does this change things?

John

Hello

You don't need a permis de chasse to purchase a shotgun, membership of a shooting club will do, you do not need these to own one. The rimfire rifles are now 5th cat and therefore you have to have a permis de chasse or membership of a shooting club to purchase (but not to own) and you also have to declare the arm to the police or gendarmes. In either case membership of a ball trap club will do (this is quick and easy to join). You do not need a permis de chasse to shoot on your own land but to do so you have to follow some conditions regarding fences. You cannot kill animals with a rimfire rifle without permission from the prefecture. Of course if you had a silencer on your rifle it is unlikely that anyone would be any the wiser. 

Regards

I really don't wish to argue this "on forum" but to use a shot gun on your own land does require a permis de chasse, no one is outside of this law - it is a permit to hunt and comes under national laws. The normal hunting seasons apply as well.   Silencers of course are illegal!

I would seriously advise any one wishing to hunt or own firearms of any nature in France to verify for themselves with the authorities what the legal situation is, which is why I pointed you to the ONCFS which is the relevant body.  After the event it will not do you any good to say "well, so and so said etc".

Get it from the horses mouth, it is pretty much all covered on the ONCFS web site, contact them.

Vis a vis fencing - suggest you look at some court cases.

Chris

Have a browse back through this part of the forum as I posted the information that Chris mentions along with a English trnslation from a gun website here in France. I believe you will require quite a bit of paperwork to get your shotgun moved across to France. Mainly to do with actually transporting and exporting it FROM the UK. I believe most of the ferries will not allow you to transport them. Again somebody has done this and it's posted in this part of the forum. Try a search here using shotgun as a query entry.

• 9 months later...
Beware.  The law changed in September 2005.  To buy a rimfire rifle now, you need to be a member of a shooting club, although a clay pigeon club is ok.  You then need to declare it at the prefecture and the gendarmes will visit you to issue a certificate that you've declared it.  If you buy a shotgun, then you will also need to be a member of a club, but you don't need to do the declaration.  Regs  Phil

[quote user="Quillan"] I believe most of the ferries will not allow you to transport them. Again somebody has done this and it's posted in this part of the forum. Try a search here using shotgun as a query entry.[/quote]

Is that right?  I thought that you had to hand your shotgun in at the port, the captain of the ferry then keeps it in a locked cabinet for the duration of the crossing, and you get it back on the other side.  Of course, with recent hightened terrorist alerts this may have changed, although the ferries don't seem to be adhering to anywhere near the kind of high security that airports are.